TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

How do we recharge on road trips prior to 2015?

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by CarlE_P439, Oct 3, 2012.

1. CarlE_P439

CarlE_P439 Member

Sep 9, 2012
    New Haven, CT
    Seems like prior to 2015 (nationwide implementation of Tesla Supercharging system), rapid charging will be hard to find on the east coast (or anywhere outside of California). I contacted ChargePoint (that seems to be everywhere) and asked them if they currently have or plan to have any charging stations beyond the apparent maximum of 30 amps (TOO SLOW!!!) since with the Twin Chargers a Model S could handle up to 80A and this is the response that I received:
    "ChargePoint (the network) is open to all manufacturers of charging stations. While ChargePoint (the company) does not currently have plans to manufacture a charger that supports 80A charging, we are ready, willing and able to support any manufacturer that does. Currently Siemens, Leviton, Eaton, and Fuji manufacture ChargePoint compatible stations with another 5 manufacturers in development but not announced. We would love to add a manufacturer/station that supports 80A charging to that list. The best thing you can do as a driver is to contact manufacturers of 80A stations and encourage them to get on the ChargePoint network."
    Does anyone know of a manufacturer that supports greater than 30A charging?? I want to take longer road trips with my Model S but don't want to wait hours for it to recharge!!
  2. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

May 17, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV
    The company that made Tesla's Roadster HPC (ClipperCreek) makes J1772 stations at 80A. It doesn't appear they are ChargePoint compatible but they do sell a creditcard access system. It sounds like from the e-mail you got that Siemens, Leviton, Eaton, and Fuji may make what you're looking for though.
  3. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Even with twin chargers, you're only getting a 20kwh dump vs the 90+ from supercharging. If you're empty, you'll still be waiting hours, just not all day.