TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How do you “drive” Auto Pilot on a daily basis?

Discussion in 'Autopilot & Autonomous/FSD' started by elyliu, Sep 25, 2019.

1. elyliu

elyliu Member

Do you keep a hand on the wheel at all times? Do you nudge the wheel only when it prompts? How about your feet? Do you hover over the pedals?

We just got a Model 3 last week so we are still learning how to “drive” with Auto Pilot.

Any tips on using Auto Pilot are welcome. Thanks.

2. LuckyAL

LuckyAL Member

I literally just got my car this past weekend but it's extremely uncomfortable to hover my foot over the accelerator (can't do it over the brake because if you accidentally tap it, it turns off adaptive cruise control) so I just rest my foot bent at the ankle in front of the accelerator. I also don't keep my hands on the wheel all the time. I should, but I don't. Sometimes I put my hand at the bottom but that isn't enough force to keep the alert off so I have to nudge it anyway. I feel like as long as you are paying enough attention to anticipate someone doing something stupid, that along with how safe the car is should be enough to stop errors.

3. TiggerTime

TiggerTime Member

At first pay attention to the way your car drives and what and how it reacts to the surroundings you drive in. Let it drive but if something makes you uneasy be ready to take control. The more you drive and more you let it do the driving the more comfortable you will be with how it handles various situations. It does not drive like humans do so don't expect it to.

As LuckyAL stated I tend to rest one hand on the lower part of the wheel with just enough pressure to keep it from needing a "nudge". You'll get use to just how little force you need to keep it happy. On longer trips and highway driving you can comfortably position a knee slightly on the wheel to keep it happy and let it drive.

Really no need to hover over either pedal once you are familiar with how the car drives and what situations could or will require your interventions.

Relax, enjoy and have fun it is a great car and a great ride once you get use to how it functions and what it expects from you. I let it drive about 80% on my daily 50 mile commute.

4. JBT66

JBT66 Member

I tend to use TACC in stop and go stuff with my foot over the accelerator as generally it starts too slow.

• Like x 1
  5. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

1) For me: If there's a reminder message then I am doing the wrong way.

The goal is to feel how well the autosteer is doing. I should be able to get the torque feedback and can reflexively predict that it's about to steer the wrong way and I can seamlessly and effortlessly correct it.

I hold the steering wheel with one hand and let the weight of my arm to hang down just enough to get the torque feedback without accidentally overriding it due to my arm's weight.

2) Also, I have to learn where phantom brakes happen so I can expect them the next time.

3) Also, I need to be ready to brake if I feel the Autopilot is not braking quickly as I want:

6. Raechris

Raechris Member

Yes No Yes
    No because my hands are typically at 9 and 3 and i phantom steer with enough force to never see a nag or disengage AP unless it is too close to a line on a turn for my comfort.