Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you actually talk to someone from service? MCU failure & replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About two months ago, my MCU1 was on the way out so I opened a service request in Reno NV to try and get the MCU1 upgrade. Well, about a month ago the MCU1 basically died and I moved the service request to Santa Clara, CA as they had a faster availability date.

Obviously there's a lag in getting not only appointments, but parts.

Without the MCU, the sunroof won't open and there's no ventilation (AC) in the vehicle, not to mention radio and everything else is simply off line.

Basically, the car isn't comfortable to drive when it's 90-100F going through the Central Valley of CA. So it has been parked for a bit more than a month.

Well I have my next appointment scheduled for next week (I've been advised to just push it off and reschedule) but want to know how to schedule TWO appointments, the first being for a simple warranty replacement of the MCU and the other being the MCU upgrade when the parts are available.

It's not possible with the app, and there's apparently no way to "contact" Tesla service (App, Tesla.com, calling 669-220-3371) to try and get a person to help me get another appointment.

Ideas?

Thanks! Getting frustrated (and reading the others who are having the same type of issues as well, so not alone) and want this fixed :)

Cancelled the existing appointment and scheduled another one for the same day (next Wednesday at 9A) for a warranty replacement of the existing MCU.

Add a note to the first appointment. They appear to review those pretty quickly after they are scheduled.

they might also find parts quicker as you’re paying for mcu2 and it avoids duplicate work.

That's what I initially did - went with the MCU2 upgrade, and then in about 24 hours, the MCU1 just went totally black and no amount of rebooting would bring it back. I was thinking ... "Damn, perfect timing!"

But when I went to update the notes ... and actually took it down there (Santa Clara service center, in line for a good 45 minutes) was schooled on the "parts not available" line and had them move the appointment out two weeks.

Call the service center you want to speak to and select the option to inquire about your car currently in service.

Gave that a shot (5 minutes ago) and it went to VM. Left a message detailing about what is going on. Hopefully they can ...

1. Fix the current MCU
2. Keep the MCU2 on order but I'm not hopeful on this one

It's going to cost them more time & money going with this current route, unfortunately. Was so thinking about just taking the car to the service center tonight, parking it right in the parking spots right in front of their entrance bay, and leaving it there. It's VERY dirty right now and won't be getting better.

I've been through this three times now recently. Tesla service really makes it hard to talk to anyone in person. The pandemic has helped them even more. Drop of you car, walk away. Don't come near us. Don't hang around, don't call. Well it goes to an automated system anyways. It's the worst experience from a customer point of view. And if you aren't happy after you pick up your car, again without seeing anyone, your only option is the text message thing which they just shut down once the appointment is over.

Human interaction is what makes great customer service.

Pleasantly, the "leave a voice message" worked as I received a call back at 9:15A this morning from James at Santa Clara. Explained the situation and the bullet points of our conversation included:

* The VIN range for the MCU2 upgrade was just updated on 28-July to include mine. This would allow them to order the MCU
* Going to check if they can accelerate the purchase of the MCU2 replacement
* There is a shortage on MCUs these days.

Sounds like though you may put in a request for an MCU2 upgrade, you may not get it if the VIN range doesn't include your Tesla. So will wait until Monday for the text update.

Text (202) 868-8744. It's the service line they use to text out service reminders and ask questions about your service appointments. I've had luck recently texting them questions and get responses pretty quickly.

Definitely something to keep in mind! I read about "texting" and getting a reply, but presumed it was a service advisor who texted the individual first!

I've been through this three times now recently. Tesla service really makes it hard to talk to anyone in person. The pandemic has helped them even more. Drop of you car, walk away. Don't come near us. Don't hang around, don't call. Well it goes to an automated system anyways. It's the worst experience from a customer point of view. And if you aren't happy after you pick up your car, again without seeing anyone, your only option is the text message thing which they just shut down once the appointment is over.

Human interaction is what makes great customer service.

"Drop of your car, walk away" is going to happen next Wednesday regardless. I have the roofer coming out to prep the work area for some new Tesla panels. Because I don't want to drive a car without amenities, it's going to the Santa Clara service center that Wednesday regardless (6-Aug is when the roofing sub-contractor is coming out).

Just filed CPUC complaint against Xfinity because of how they manage one of their programs ("Internet Essentials" ... phone queue time is 10 hours to 16 hours according to the recording), and there's no email, chat or other option besides calling them.

Attachments

• upload_2020-7-30_17-24-1.png
    upload_2020-7-30_17-24-1.png
    33.5 KB · Views: 190