Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you add new Apps to car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a new owner of a 2015 S 60 bought from a used car dealer who didn't know much about Teslas. The Apps screen has only two apps (NAV and Calendar) and I don't see anyway to add additional apps. I couldn't find anything in the owner's manual. I'd like to add (for example) a Weather app. Would really appreciate some help on this

Welcome to Tesla. Elon promised an app SDK back in 2013. It's been "coming soon" for a while, then radio silence. Draw your own conclusions and set expectations accordingly.

In other words, it's a feature that is at the very bottom of the internal Tesla wish list....

actually, I think that idea is probably already struck off the bottom of Tesla's priorities!
although the SDK was "coming soon" for a long time (like many other promises), in Jan 2016 Elon later updated that idea by saying instead of an SDK maybe Tesla would provide some sort of "mirroring" of your smartphone apps on the 17" screen.

... either way, we're still waiting... (don't hold your breath!)

In other words, it's a feature that is at the very bottom of the internal Tesla wish list....
I don’t see it ever happening. I think too much runs on the center display computer to risk it. Someone writes something ugly that sticks in a loop, etc. what happens to the car?

Turn signals don’t work when rebooting.

My perception is that auto lane changes don’t work well when the center console is having problems.

What else could be harmed?

Sure, there are sandboxes. But the risk is pretty high imho.

actually, I think that idea is probably already struck off the bottom of Tesla's priorities!
although the SDK was "coming soon" for a long time (like many other promises), in Jan 2016 Elon later updated that idea by saying instead of an SDK maybe Tesla would provide some sort of "mirroring" of your smartphone apps on the 17" screen.

... either way, we're still waiting... (don't hold your breath!)
Yea, Elon promises a lot of features that never come and never will. App SDK and even mirroring will go the way of the 691hp - "tour car is totally capable, but there is something in it which prevents you from being able to use it, but don't worry, if you pay for a brand new car you will get it". Apple or Android integration will likely happen at some point, but probably only for future cars.

An App Store icon was shown on the early Model S displays prior to production, and removed in the first production cars.

Musk later promised to release a 3rd party programming interface and add the app store.

A few years later, Musk shifted to promising to deliver screen mirroring - either a Tesla implementation or 3rd party - but probably not Apple CarPlay or Android Auto.

And even though the Bolt has both Apple and Android, we still don't have screen mirroring, or even very capable smartphone integration (like text-to-voice and voice-to-text for text messages & emails).

However...

Since we received our first Model S 5 years ago, the software has gone through considerable changes.

We've seen several improvements of the user interface. The calendar app was added. The navigation app was upgraded to include the trip planner with automatic routing through superchargers - and we've seen the addition of superchargers/destination chargers with the console maps. We've also received a number of other updates - which were added through OTA software updates.

And, it's very likely the next major software release (9.0?) will have a number of new features - such as increased commonality with the Model 3 software, new navigation app, additional improvements to the media player (beyond what was done in 8.0), and the long promised browser upgrade.

So while we don't have a clear roadmap of what Tesla is planning to add in new software releases, they have been pretty consistent in providing new functionality in the existing cars, when the hardware supports it. It's possible we'll see more apps added in the future, especially once Model 3 gets into full production, and the number of Tesla cars on the road expands enough to justify more software development.

With other manufacturers - the likely path to get more apps added would be to buy a new car...

Reactions: Scott_K
Because the integration requires specific hardware/chip that the current one lacks.

Ah, ok. Makes sense. I didn't realise it requires additional hardware. Thanks.

I don't believe the lack of hardware in current vehicles is a permanent roadblock to screen mirroring. Example as it relates to Full Self-Driving:

"...full autonomy option, if it does turn out that it requires computer upgrade for full autonomy, we will replace their computer — it’s just a matter of unplug the old computer, plug the new one in." - Elon

Tesla could upgrade customer computers to meet self-driving requirements

I don’t see it ever happening. I think too much runs on the center display computer to risk it. Someone writes something ugly that sticks in a loop, etc. what happens to the car?

Turn signals don’t work when rebooting.

My perception is that auto lane changes don’t work well when the center console is having problems.

What else could be harmed?

Sure, there are sandboxes. But the risk is pretty high imho.
Modern software doesn't work like that.

I don't believe the lack of hardware in current vehicles is a permanent roadblock to screen mirroring. Example as it relates to Full Self-Driving:

"...full autonomy option, if it does turn out that it requires computer upgrade for full autonomy, we will replace their computer — it’s just a matter of unplug the old computer, plug the new one in." - Elon

Tesla could upgrade customer computers to meet self-driving requirements
Er, we're talking about integration of Apple CarPlay or Android Auto and additional hardware that may require. Not additional or replacement hardware FSD may or may not require.

Er, we're talking about integration of Apple CarPlay or Android Auto and additional hardware that may require. Not additional or replacement hardware FSD may or may not require.

I know you're talking about integration of Apple CarPlay or Android Auto and additional hardware that may require. My point was that if hardware could be added for FSD, then perhaps hardware could be added for app integration/screen mirroring if needed.

This was in response to the other point someone made of possibly needing a new chip for screen mirroring - see post #12. I like to include the media references when possible. Perhaps I did not make my point clear enough.

Last edited:
O
I'm a new owner of a 2015 S 60 bought from a used car dealer who didn't know much about Teslas. The Apps screen has only two apps (NAV and Calendar) and I don't see anyway to add additional apps. I couldn't find anything in the owner's manual. I'd like to add (for example) a Weather app. Would really appreciate some help on this
Oh man, you are so cute. Seriously, I remember when I was all excited hearing I could get apps for the car. Here is the history: Tesla used to to advertise that they were going to have 3rd party app support, but they never followed through or released an SDK for 3rd parties. The only app they've added in 4 years, is basically the trip estimator. Any thoughts of Car Play or Android Auto should be forgotten because it doesn't look like those are happening either. I am sorry to be the one to tell you this, but welcome to ownership. The rest of the car software is decent, and your phone can obviously fill in a lot of the gaps.

There is a workaround using the web browser to navigate to certain Tesla browser sites that can offer dashboard views with 30sec update intervals and Waze maps.

• Funny
Reactions: David.85D