Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you advertise an Electric Car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Speaking of advertising for Tesla. Has Tesla done ANY advertising? Except for the cameo shots in movies? I remember seeing the Tesla in "Little Fockers" movie and a recent preview. It was also in "Real Steel".

Considering their reservations are so high just based off of word of mouth, it would be interesting to see what would happen if they had the income to place commercials on TV spots.

Speaking of advertising for Tesla. Has Tesla done ANY advertising? Except for the cameo shots in movies? I remember seeing the Tesla in "Little Fockers" movie and a recent preview. It was also in "Real Steel".

Considering their reservations are so high just based off of word of mouth, it would be interesting to see what would happen if they had the income to place commercials on TV spots.

Superbowl 2013? Might be a worthwhile splurge, especially if order-til-delivery time is about 3-4 months by then. Could also sneak in Model X at the end of the clip, then follow up with Model X ad in 2014.

I'm partial to this:

A competing large luxury sedan comes up to a stoplight next to a gleaming Model S.
The ICE driver glances over a few times and revs his engine loudly.
Cut to the Model S cabin which is completely quiet, playing classical music.
Back to the ICE, revving obnoxiously, tailpipe spewing.
Some anticipation and the light goes green.
The Model S silently launches ahead of the ICE, blowing its doors off, classical music playing.
Cut back to behind the ICE - falling behind noisily as it gets a view of the no-tailpipe Model S - but the ICE spews from its tailpipe.
The Model S silently rockets past a cop behind a billboard - who doesn't even notice.
Two seconds later the ICE roars past in frustration and the cop snaps his head up and flips on the flashers.
Cut back to the Model S cabin, looking through the windshield - enjoying the music - far in the distance the cop is reading the riot act to the frustrated ICE driver.

A little too much scofflaw in it - implying you can speed in silence, but fun anyway.

I'm partial to this:

A competing large luxury sedan comes up to a stoplight next to a gleaming Model S.
The ICE driver glances over a few times and revs his engine loudly.
Cut to the Model S cabin which is completely quiet, playing classical music.
Back to the ICE, revving obnoxiously, tailpipe spewing.
Some anticipation and the light goes green.
The Model S silently launches ahead of the ICE, blowing its doors off, classical music playing.
Cut back to behind the ICE - falling behind noisily as it gets a view of the no-tailpipe Model S - but the ICE spews from its tailpipe.
The Model S silently rockets past a cop behind a billboard - who doesn't even notice.
Two seconds later the ICE roars past in frustration and the cop snaps his head up and flips on the flashers.
Cut back to the Model S cabin, looking through the windshield - enjoying the music - far in the distance the cop is reading the riot act to the frustrated ICE driver.

A little too much scofflaw in it - implying you can speed in silence, but fun anyway.

Hi Rich,

I think that would make a great commercial. It really appeals to me.

However, I believe that Tesla should avoid conventional advertising for as long as possible during startup to conserve cash until it is firmly in the black. Tesla should produce the video, but rely on Social Media and Internet channels to distribute it. If the video is sufficiently entertaining it could easly go viral.

Larry

Sadly the video is not available in my location.

The problem is that any approach is going to be open to some form of backlash. Econuts will complain that Tesla isn't being green enough with materials and resources. Petrolheads can criticise range and recharging. Everyone can gripe about the price.

Tesla is in the unique position of being able to market a genuinely revolutionary product in a world where consumers don't even like change, let alone revolution. Somebody, somewhere is bound to get upset about what Tesla is doing, just as people are going to take a dislike to Toyota's ad with the Polar Bear. The argument that Tesla should avoid provoking a backlash until they are big like Toyota is just one in a long list. There are thousands of things that could kill a small company like Tesla.

We may as well get people talking about it

The video is a series of speeches cut together. I paraphrase. In each clip every US president says we need more energy independence and should do something about it. They go back eight (four year term) presidents. Nothing about Tesla.

BTW It was Nissan that had the recent Polar Bear spot. The "animals loving cars" concept is done every year to should fuel economy. Advertisers love to use animals.
Right now it's FedEx storybook animals, last year is was the wooded animals with (I think) a Mazda(?) coming out to cheers a low mileage car. Was there backlash to them? Maybe if we read the fan boards of those cars.

Hi Rich,

I think that would make a great commercial. It really appeals to me.

However, I believe that Tesla should avoid conventional advertising for as long as possible during startup to conserve cash until it is firmly in the black. Tesla should produce the video, but rely on Social Media and Internet channels to distribute it. If the video is sufficiently entertaining it could easly go viral.

Larry

Yeah I don't think Tesla needs to waste any money on advertising. And they probably shouldn't make a commercial that promotes EVs as a way to speed and not get caught.
Once we have cars ... I bet there are a few people in this community with the resources to shoot such a video and let it wander the internet....

Yeah I don't think Tesla needs to waste any money on advertising. And they probably shouldn't make a commercial that promotes EVs as a way to speed and not get caught.
Once we have cars ... I bet there are a few people in this community with the resources to shoot such a video and let it wander the internet....

Hi Rich,

Good point. Yes, I think it would be neat if Tesla pretty much followed your outline without the speeding angle.

Larry

Thanks for the clarification Eric. I like the speeding Tesla vs ICE idea, but it's bound to upset somebody. Probably law enforcement agencies :) Probably blind pedestrians. (assuming ads come with audio description)

I wonder if BMW will advertise the i3 against the Model X? Sounds like the range, acceleration and price won't be competitive. The only thing it seems to have going for it will be price point if the Model X doesn't go down to $43K

BMW i3 To Cost Between $43,000-$50,000 | Hybrid Cars

Styling?
557605_444863778877632_999678502_n.jpg

I wonder if BMW will advertise the i3 against the Model X? Sounds like the range, acceleration and price won't be competitive. The only thing it seems to have going for it will be price point if the Model X doesn't go down to $43K

The i3 was dubbed "Mega city vehicle", whereas Model X is a long-range, high performance, pure electric cross-over utility. IMHO they address very different segments. Model X will start around $67k (before tax credits) for the 60kWh version, if we go along with Tesla's statement of "prices comparable to Model S".

Last edited by a moderator:
"She's not for everyone"

After a soft launch a few months ago to pre-ordered customers who came to Better Place largely through word of mouth, they launched their full advertising campaign last night. It focuses much more on the EV than the specific Renault Fluence ZE they're selling here. It's in English (well Scottish but let's not be fussy about an accent). The Hebrew at the end is nothing more than a "call this number for more information" type announcement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDx2W9vcpUM&feature=player_embedded