Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you advertise an Electric Car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Meh. Coda's hitting the "green" button really hard. I just don't see that translating outside of a niche. I thought the Leaf ads were much better at showing the advantage of electric over gas in general, rather than just pounding the well worn "green" angle.

Meh. Coda's hitting the "green" button really hard. I just don't see that translating outside of a niche. I thought the Leaf ads were much better at showing the advantage of electric over gas in general, rather than just pounding the well worn "green" angle.

The 5 advantages to tout in selling an EV (not counting it just drives better) don't have to be exclusive to any maker for any length of time. Nissan launched Leaf advertising with the polar bear hug.

Any maker can change up the direction even simultaneously. Parallel campaigns can hit different geographical regions and different demographics. Whole Earth magazine gets the "green" ad while Motor Trend has the sporty tech advantages.

I'm liking the current Volt ads with real owners just talking about not stopping for gas in a month. Great timing on that campaign. :)

Great article. Worth the cross post from here.

Tesla Model S: The Disruptive Marketing of an Electric Car Science of Revenue

So what can we learn from Tesla marketing?
(1) Start with a great product
(2) Start high and work your way down
(3) Turn auto industry strengths into weaknesses
(4) Create a new multi-channel model:
(5) Build the community & focus on the experience: From the beginning, Tesla has made user forums and user community a key part of the online experience. Tesla marketing highlights the unique Tesla buying and ownership experience and encourages owners to interact with the company and each other in full public view on the Tesla site. This provides a rich base of content — and owner passion — on view for prospective buyers.
(6) Leverage the media and traditional press:
Tesla Marketing: Likely more lessons to come