Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you all get to Crater Lake from the Seattle area?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sure. Just make sure to call ahead and check (and reserve).

But I've never had a problem with RV parks - either in a state/national park or even private places like a KOA. I've day-use charged at 10 or so RV parks and I also do tent camping on RV Electrical sites and charge the car overnight.

If you want to just do a day-use but reserve online, reserve an RV Electrical site and specify your equipment as a Tent. If somebody stops by and complain, just tell them you forgot the tent and a friend is bringing it over later :). But I doubt anybody will.

I would probably just go Bend SC > Crater Lake > Klamath Falls SC. That's 164 miles including driving around the west side of the lake. You will probably have a few more diversions and a couple nights of cold soak overnight, but assuming you have a 70+, you should still have plenty of range.

Sure you end up further away from Seattle than you'd like, but that is the reality of being an early adopter in 2017 :)

• Informative
Reactions: Ferengii and Rossy
The Cabins at Mazama, and Crater Lake Resort both show as having Tesla chargers. I would stay the night there or call and ask if you can use their charger for a couple hours so you have enough to get back to the next supercharger either in Springfield or Bend.

Alternatively you could go all the way to Grants Pass, supercharge and most likely have enough to go to Crater Lake and then back to Grants Pass depending on how much driving you do while in the park.

• Informative
Reactions: Rossy and ReddyLeaf
We rented a cabin at Crater Lake Resort for a couple nights and I'd highly recommend it. It's really inexpensive, a decent creek-side cabin that's pretty clean, with parking, and there is indeed an HPWC at the main office which is about a minute or two walk from the cabins.

Made our time at Crater Lake really enjoyable and we had a full charge every morning. Also, cabins are dog friendly so that's a plus if you have a furry one.

You could also camp there for even less - they have decent bathrooms and showers for campers and a handful of pretty good campsites.

IMG_1571.jpg IMG_1572.jpg IMG_1633.jpg

I think this shows some of the lack of knowledge of new people coming to electric cars. It seems most of the public thinks that an electric car can only be charged from an official "electric car charging station". They don't know that the car can charge from any source of electricity if you have the right adapter to plug into it. I've gotten to inform a lot of people about this, where they think being outside of a city where the "car chargers" are means there is no charging available. I've had to remind them that when you are outside of cities in the more empty hiking and camping areas, that is actually where you find a lot of campsites and RV facilities, and their electrical posts work great for charging a Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
I think this shows some of the lack of knowledge of new people coming to electric cars. It seems most of the public thinks that an electric car can only be charged from an official "electric car charging station". They don't know that the car can charge from any source of electricity if you have the right adapter to plug into it. I've gotten to inform a lot of people about this, where they think being outside of a city where the "car chargers" are means there is no charging available. I've had to remind them that when you are outside of cities in the more empty hiking and camping areas, that is actually where you find a lot of campsites and RV facilities, and their electrical posts work great for charging a Tesla.

I know we can charge in non Tesla charges too. But even that is not available at hotels near crater lake.

Reactions: Rossy