Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you answer, how much did you pay?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I fall in line with those who have made the leap into a Model 3 from a lesser expensive car. And I'm quickly finding out that people have no hesitation about asking questions that I was always taught would be rude to ask. So, for those of us who have made the move to a more expensive car, surrounded by co-workers whom don't drive $80K cars, how do you answer when prompted with the question; How much?

Here are some responses to "How much did you pay?" I've seen online:

1. It starts at 35K usd and can be optioned up from there.
2. It came in well under a Million dollars!
3. Why do you want to know? Do you want to chip in on the payments?

My answer depends on what I think the motives of the person asking are. If it's a person that seems genuinely interested/curious about the Model 3 (or even knows what it is) I'll be completely up front about price paid.

If it's a person that is just looking to say, "I didn't know you're so rich!" (nosy elderly neighbor, annoying relatives) or whatever then I will just say something like "More than I would normally pay for a car but it's been worth it!" Besides, they'll figure it out it doesn't cost 100K when they start seeing it more than Camrys, Priuses, etc.

Reactions: Raindog1
$55k after the tax rebate and I’m saving a little more than $2k a year on gas.

But, the question isn’t usually “what did you pay,” it’s “oh, you are buying the new $35k version?” which requires a little more explanatoon.

Ditto! And in my current job I’m driving ~ 50k miles a year so I tell them I’m saving over $4k a year on gas, and people are generally like, “Say what?” It amazes me how many people, and I’m talking about some very intelligent people, never stop to consider the cost of fuel and maintenance related to their cars. I suppose it’s the current paradigm, we all simply accept that we’re going to spend hundreds of dollars a month on gas and $40 to $50 each time we get an oil change and that’s just life.

This is how I justified spending more on this car than I’ve ever spent on a car by a wide margin. When I compared TCO of the Model 3 to that of roughly 10 different gas powered (even hybrid) cars I was considering, the Model 3 had a lower TCO than most, was even with a few, and only one hybrid had a lower TCO than Model 3 and that was by less than $1k over a 5 year life cycle. So I figured, for less than $1k extra I’m getting the most kick ass car I can buy!

My answer depends on what I think the motives of the person asking are. If it's a person that seems genuinely interested/curious about the Model 3 (or even knows what it is) I'll be completely up front about price paid.

If it's a person that is just looking to say, "I didn't know you're so rich!" (nosy elderly neighbor, annoying relatives) or whatever then I will just say something like "More than I would normally pay for a car but it's been worth it!" Besides, they'll figure it out it doesn't cost 100K when they start seeing it more than Camrys, Priuses, etc.

Exactly, someone's motives are the key factor. Most people I've shown don't ask or already have an idea. Those asking seem to alternate motives than genuine interest.

I say $55K, before $13.5K in rebates and credits. What's so rude about asking how much a person paid for a vehicle?

I guess your right. Maybe its just my issue as I never discuss money unless someone seems truly interested. As another member pointed out, it may have more about nosy people and their intentions behind the question. Also, I kind of see it in the same regard as asking how much someone makes... but I guess that's just me. Thanks for your input.

I'm pretty private about finances so I'm not going to give the price if someone asks. When the inevitable question comes I'll probably say something like "they start at 35k and go all the way to 80k". If pressed I'm not going to give a number.

Most in my social circle don't have the financial means that I do so I'm a little sensitive to questions along the lines of "how much did you spend on THAT!?". I'm not going to give that info to someone I know but if a stranger asks I'll toss the number out without hesitation.

I'm pretty private about finances so I'm not going to give the price if someone asks. When the inevitable question comes I'll probably say something like "they start at 35k and go all the way to 80k". If pressed I'm not going to give a number.

Most in my social circle don't have the financial means that I do so I'm a little sensitive to questions along the lines of "how much did you spend on THAT!?". I'm not going to give that info to someone I know but if a stranger asks I'll toss the number out without hesitation.

There's a difference between bragging and answering a question factually or with tact. I understand your hesitation around people who don't have the means, and a range answer is helpful.

Ditto! And in my current job I’m driving ~ 50k miles a year so I tell them I’m saving over $4k a year on gas, and people are generally like, “Say what?” It amazes me how many people, and I’m talking about some very intelligent people, never stop to consider the cost of fuel and maintenance related to their cars. I suppose it’s the current paradigm, we all simply accept that we’re going to spend hundreds of dollars a month on gas and $40 to $50 each time we get an oil change and that’s just life.

This is how I justified spending more on this car than I’ve ever spent on a car by a wide margin. When I compared TCO of the Model 3 to that of roughly 10 different gas powered (even hybrid) cars I was considering, the Model 3 had a lower TCO than most, was even with a few, and only one hybrid had a lower TCO than Model 3 and that was by less than $1k over a 5 year life cycle. So I figured, for less than $1k extra I’m getting the most kick ass car I can buy!
Yep.

I started with a 2013 Honda Fit and Toyota Prius 'v' in 2017;
Swapped the Fit for a 2013 LEAF in 2017
Swapped the Prius 'v' for a Prius Prime is 2017
Swapped the Prius Prime for my Model 3 LR in 2018

After partial federal tax credits and Colorado tax credits I paid $24k out of pocket
I expect to save about $13k in fuel costs over the lifetime of the cars

NET
$11k to transition to EVs, and to drive a safe, environmentally much improved, near luxury car