Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you back your X into a small garage space?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jboy210

Supporting Member
Dec 2, 2016
Northern California
Hi,

We just installed a HPWC in the garage and the best way to get to it will be to back into the garage. However, it is a tight fit, with little clearance on any side. How are others dealing with getting their X into small parking spaces? Do you use things like tape on the ground to line up, tennis balls or parking targets to tell you when you are in far enough, etc. I am especially concerned when an unfamiliar driver uses the car.

Thanks!

I have always found backing into tighter spots easier. With the mirrors you can see down both sides of the car. No guessing where the front corner is.

When I drove a fire truck we put a “T” on the ground showing where the back tire should be. Then sat a water jug on that spot so it could easily be seen from the mirror. The ideal parking job ended with the tire brushed up against the jug.

We use tape and mirrors but the best item to see that you are in the right place is this:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000CEE62W

We have a very tight garage with an X and a 3; I’ve tried laser pointers and other helpers but we ended up with duct tape with black and yellow pattern from the front to the door to help line up left to right and the ‘tire stop’ above to tell when you are in the right spot to stop.

We also have mirrors on the wall to see where your tire is to help line up with the tape so you don’t need to stick your head out the window.

Details on these items at Amazon if requested!

(Note we drive in forward. Another thing to tell where you are is the rear camera; some put a piece of tape down to stop when it shows in the right place on the camera. Creep mode is a must as you need the car moving on its own as you modulate with the brake. I tried to control with no creep and it was a nightmare. One case where you almost want creep geofenced! YMMV of course.)

I use the dash display. I pull in behind another vehicle with about a foot to spare. The dash displays the distance down to 12 inches, i then crawl in another few inches or until the warning ding. Enough clearance to close the door.

Chill mode helps a lot. I wish that could be geo-fenced, or just make the top of the pedal not so sensitive. Always chill mode while in reverse would also be nice.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
Good pointer on the tire stop.

I forgot, I currently have a 2x6 laying down flat in the garage for wife’s side. I put 2 1x4 from it to the garage floor ledge to keep it in one spot.

I keep creep off. I’m backing up a slight hill into my garage doing a 3 point turn. having creep on makes it harder for me. I just be sure to move slow enough that my “panic” response is lift feet up and the car stops.

I find the electric motor very easy to modulate in the S (and loaner X) at slow speeds. I find the 3 to be a bit more jumpy.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
I always back into garage or parking spots. It's so much easier when you are trying to leave, especially at the mall. You can clearly see if there are people when leaving.
You will get used to it, use your side mirrors. My garage is very tight also. Couple inches on each side of mirrors going through door.
Take your time, electric cars can be very jumpy if your not careful. Tape on the floor helps so you know how far back to go. Eventually you won't need the tape. You get to know the size of the vehicle as you get to fortable with it.

Reactions: MJGolf and Big Earl
Hi,

We just installed a HPWC in the garage and the best way to get to it will be to back into the garage. However, it is a tight fit, with little clearance on any side. How are others dealing with getting their X into small parking spaces? Do you use things like tape on the ground to line up, tennis balls or parking targets to tell you when you are in far enough, etc. I am especially concerned when an unfamiliar driver uses the car.

Thanks!

I find the best way is to do the same thing that you have always done, but the car just is pointed in the other direction. It may sound smart***, but truly follow the same tracks that you do when pulling in.

You also have the rear view camera with the lines that can guide you.
I suspect that you may have marks on the floor already, where the tires have been