Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you carry your bike?

If you carry a bike, how do you do it on your Model 3?

• Tesla roof rack

Votes: 12 12.1%
  • SeaSucker

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Some other roof rack system

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trailer hitch

Votes: 38 38.4%
  • Inside the car

Votes: 43 43.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, two road bikes (52cm and 54cm) with the front wheels off do fit in the back, but its a bit of a pain in the behind to get them in and out.

Attachments

• IMG_20200516_134909.jpg
    IMG_20200516_134909.jpg
    469.1 KB · Views: 410
  • IMG_20200516_134901.jpg
    IMG_20200516_134901.jpg
    482.9 KB · Views: 355
  • IMG_20200516_134846.jpg
    IMG_20200516_134846.jpg
    450.3 KB · Views: 351
Reactions: superflyrolla
Installed the Tesla roof rack & 1up flush mount roof rack this morning. The Tesla roof rack carrier was nerve racking install since reading so many people with story of incorrect installation causing glass to crack. I had to look and confirm closely to make sure the J hook is in the right slot.

It was even more scary when I begin to tighten down the bolts I can hear the creaking/cracking sound. Hopefully nothing gone wrong.

Attachments

• E6FC1918-9112-4DDC-A687-DD7D6A8BCFCE.JPG
    E6FC1918-9112-4DDC-A687-DD7D6A8BCFCE.JPG
    588.6 KB · Views: 354
Reactions: house9
Installed the Tesla roof rack & 1up flush mount roof rack this morning. The Tesla roof rack carrier was nerve racking install since reading so many people with story of incorrect installation causing glass to crack. I had to look and confirm closely to make sure the J hook is in the right slot.

It was even more scary when I begin to tighten down the bolts I can hear the creaking/cracking sound. Hopefully nothing gone wrong.

I need to get the Tesla racks, already have some Yakima Highroad kit in the garage to go with them.

I worry about driving straight into the garage and forgetting about the bikes.

I put my Specialized road bike-size 54 frame-in the back seat. I do not need to put the seat back down.

If my wife is not with me, I move the passenger seat up some. I put a towel in the middle area of the back seat over the front edge of the seat. I put the front edge of the towel under the back edge of the center console top by opening the top and slipping the towel under the cracked open back and then I close the lid and it stays pretty well. I take the front wheel off and later lay it over the bike once it is in. I take the left pedal off to avoid having it rip the seats. From the driver's side, I lift the bike in (try not to slide it) with the rear wheel going in and the front fork gets pointed somewhat up.

I use a small plastic spacer in the front disc brake to keep me from accidentally squeezing the brake closed and causing a problem. The spacer ships with the bike and is discarded by the shop when they assemble it, but they likely have some sitting around, or they will. Other things will work also.

It doesn't take long to do and is fine as long as you have enough luggage room left. I carry a Modern spare, and last time I put that behind the passenger seat with the bike partly resting on it.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
upload_2020-6-4_11-53-54.png

My Cannondale carbon fiber bike inside my Tesla Model 3- my two favorite vehicles!

Initially I put a long cardboard to cover the trunk floor plus the folded back seats.
1. Fold the back seats (10 sec.)
2. Disassembled the front wheel (20 sec.)
3. Lift and insert the bike, back wheel first (15 sec.)
4. Lay the front wheel on the bike ((5 sec.)
All in all, a 50 sec exercise, that I have been doing several time a weeks.

Have kids seats in the back so folding down the seats isn't realistic. Installed a Curt hitch plus my old Yakima Holdup bike rack. Trunk opens with both the rack folded up or the bike on it.

Attachments

• 20200526_103827.jpg
    20200526_103827.jpg
    423.5 KB · Views: 302
  • 20200526_103838.jpg
    20200526_103838.jpg
    530.2 KB · Views: 338
Reactions: Andy7
Which Curt hitch do you have installed? Was it a DIY and did you have any fitment issues?

Curt revised their Model 3 hitch this spring. This is the one I installed: curtmfg.com/part/11581

I got it on Etrailer for like $180. Installed myself. No cutting with the removable hitch cover on 2019 (?) & newer. Only issue was mounting the bumper/under plate assembly. Key was having someone hold it kind of in place but not on the car and I crawled under and kinda tugged it down a little to get a couple spots from hitting the horizontal trailer hitch bar.

I'm not generally that handy and I thought it was pretty straight forward.

Reactions: kysrsoze
ever put the mountain bike in there?

A single MTB with the front wheel taken off should be ok. I think it would be a real pain to try and get two to fit - it would not be easy.

My MTB has through axle so taking the front wheel off is a bit of a pain.

This guy does good comparison with Model Y and trying to fit bikes in

Last edited: