TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

How do you charge at home? HPWC or UMC?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by wayner, Oct 20, 2015.

?

How do you charge at home?

1. HPWC

41 vote(s)
    51.9%
  2. UMC

36 vote(s)
    45.6%
  3. Other

2 vote(s)
    2.5%
  1. wayner

wayner Active Member

What do you use for charging at your home?

note - I am posting this in the Canada forum as Canadians may have different responses given the financial incentives for installing a charger at home (at least in some provinces)

2. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

UMC meets my needs. SO I am OK. I would have gone for the HPWC, because more is ALWAYS better! But the panel and power upgrade was 3K and I wasn't willing to spend it.

3. PoweredByRain

PoweredByRain Member

I have a 30A J1772 EVSE. It was complete overkill for the 2011 Nissan LEAF that could only take 16A. :) It's adequate for overnight charging of the Model S.

4. green1

green1 Active Member

I use the UMC for now, I'd prefer to have a HPWC, but I wouldn't be able to make full use of it without a substantial upgrade to the electrical service feeding my house. I may eventually do it anyway, but I haven't decided yet.

5. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I use a UMC. It was the simplest and least expensive solution. 240V 40A is always enough for overnight charging.

6. Not an Ice

Not an Ice Member

My HPWC vote counts as 2, as I have one at the cottage as well. The cottage electrical will only provide 70 amps though even with 100 amp service to garage and unit set to 80.

7. SmartElectric

SmartElectric Active Member

UMC
    24A on 10-30 receptacle in garage
    32A on 14-50 receptacle on side of house

Have also charged on 120V when my 14-50 wasn't yet installed

Also have a Smart ED with a.120V EVSE.

Not even considering HPWC, not needed .

8. DMC-Orangeville

DMC-Orangeville 85D and John Deere 5100E

HPWC at home - per survey

but:
    Eaton charger with J1772 @ 48 amps/208 volts at work - used most frequently
    UMC (used twice) with Nema 14-30 at cottage

9. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I do get 40A out of my 14-50, charging at night when nothing else is running. I don't drive that many miles anymore (new job), so it works great for me.

10. agloutney

agloutney Member

HPWC at home because the cable is longer so I can plug in either in the garage or outside. UMC stays in the car.

11. wayner

wayner Active Member

I have a double garage and I put my HPWC in the centre on a 2 foot wide wall between the two doors in case we become a two Tesla family in the future. Hopefully future Teslas will be able to be charged by a HPWC.

12. Father Bill

Father Bill Member

I have an HPWC on a 100 amp circuit in my garage, and in my belt and suspenders method I also have a 14-30 outlet for the UMC if the HPWC doesn't work.

Peace,
    Father Bill

13. mibaro2

mibaro2 Member

I use a UMC if I have to charge at home. I say "if" because my work has put in a charger and I use it daily to top off my battery.

14. wayner

wayner Active Member

It totally makes sense for you to do this, but is this a good thing from a broader perspective? If we can all charge at work for free during the day we will do so. But this: (1) increases peak demand which may cause more electricity generation to be built, and (2) causes more GHG emissions because additional demand during the day will be met by burning Nat Gas (at least here in Ontario - worse in other jurisdictions that still have coal) rather than generating more electricity from hydro-electric.

Isn't encouraging people to charge during peak demand times a bad idea (unless there is no other option)?

15. mibaro2

mibaro2 Member

What you say makes sense. But consider this:
    -Are you saying that businesses should stop putting in chargers at their location because it will be used during electrical prime time ? To me that would be a step backwards for EV adoption.
    -If I don't use the charger, then they may remove it since it is not used. (it is in a locked parking lot, and there is currently one other EV owner that uses the charger. I give him first dibs to it).

Thanks for the reminder on the broader perspective.

16. wayner

wayner Active Member

I think they should charge you for the cost of electricity at least so that you aren't being given a financial incentive to charge during the day at work rather than charging at home at night. Many buildings have put in chargers as it earns them LEED points and having LEED certification is attractive to tenants, allowing landlords to charge higher rent.

And most Tesla owners don't need to charge during the day given the long range of our vehicles- that can't be said for owners of some other EVs.

17. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker Beta Tester

My employer has 36 level 2 chargers that are all powered by solar panels on the parking garage and available for free charging. The building I work in is also covered with solar panels and is net zero. Some employers are doing it right. [emoji4]

18. taurusking

taurusking Member

Have UMC to charge at home and use Chademo outside home...to charge...:smile:

19. wayner

wayner Active Member

That's great to hear. They must have a ton of panels - doesn't a Level 2 draw 7.2kW (240V X 30A). If the panels are similar to the 250W ones on my roof that would mean about 30 panels (which are each about 1x2 m) times 36 or about 1000 panels.

But I presume the chargers aren't just powered by the solar panels as otherwise there is no power on cloudy days.

20. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker Beta Tester

#20 MorrisonHiker, Oct 21, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
    The parking garage has a 1.153 MW solar array (covering the roof and southern wall, 5 levels high) and many other buildings are covered with panels as well. There's a lot of information about it here. Here's a PDF with a little more information on the charging infrastructure. I believe the charging stations are load balanced so they aren't all producing full output simultaneously.
    As you can see below, there are thousands of panels on the garage and other campus buildings:
    8902ee5b182982eb38e5d51f1e69cf6c.jpg

Here's a Google Maps link that you can zoom in and count all the panels. [emoji41]