Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you charge at home? HPWC or UMC?

How do you charge at home?

• HPWC

Votes: 41 51.9%
  • UMC

Votes: 36 45.6%
  • Other

Votes: 2 2.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the first 3 months after eating the Model S used the UMC at just 15 amps! Got the garage built this summer and have the HPWC at 100 amps and have never looked back. Did put a NEMA 14-50 on the outside as well, just in case (want to get the 2016 Chevy Volt soon to replace our old remaining ice vehicle), should get around to testing it out come to think about it. Because we back onto a river the restrictions were so onerous we could only build a single car garage.:crying:

I guess this wouldn't apply in your instance since you have had the car for over two years, but doesn't the HPWC have the added benefit of being 50% subsidized by the Ontario govt? An additional UMC cable wouldn't be covered by the EV charging incentive program.

- - - Updated - - -

The parking garage has a 1.153 MW solar array (covering the roof and southern wall, 5 levels high) and many other buildings are covered with panels as well. [emoji41]
Extremely impressive installation.

I guess this wouldn't apply in your instance since you have had the car for over two years, but doesn't the HPWC have the added benefit of being 50% subsidized by the Ontario govt? An additional UMC cable wouldn't be covered by the EV charging incentive program.

The Ontario rebate allows up to 50% of the EVSE cost (capped at $500) and up to 50% of the installation costs (capped at $500) for a maximum of $1,000. Since I wired a cord to it and plugged it in, it would not be eligible.

The reason I started this thread in the Canadian forum is that I would guess that Ontarians would be more likely to have HPWCs than folks elsewhere, given this incentive. If you want to carry a UMC in your car it may be cheaper to let the govt pay for 50% of an HPWC install. Of course you could now just hang onto the original UMC that you have no that we all seem to be getting a new one in the mail from Tesla. Too bad I already sent mine in, but I never use it anyhow.

HPWC because all the cool kids have one (well, that and it's a clean installation, can provide greater power, has a longer cable, and allows me to keep the UMC in the car).

Also if you look at the HPWC with your head tilted just right it looks like Iron Man's head, so there's that...