Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you charge at home? HPWC or UMC?

How do you charge at home?

• HPWC

Votes: 41 51.9%
  • UMC

Votes: 36 45.6%
  • Other

Votes: 2 2.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wayner

Oct 29, 2014
Toronto
What do you use for charging at your home?

note - I am posting this in the Canada forum as Canadians may have different responses given the financial incentives for installing a charger at home (at least in some provinces)

I have a double garage and I put my HPWC in the centre on a 2 foot wide wall between the two doors in case we become a two Tesla family in the future. Hopefully future Teslas will be able to be charged by a HPWC.

I use a UMC if I have to charge at home. I say "if" because my work has put in a charger and I use it daily to top off my battery.
It totally makes sense for you to do this, but is this a good thing from a broader perspective? If we can all charge at work for free during the day we will do so. But this: (1) increases peak demand which may cause more electricity generation to be built, and (2) causes more GHG emissions because additional demand during the day will be met by burning Nat Gas (at least here in Ontario - worse in other jurisdictions that still have coal) rather than generating more electricity from hydro-electric.

Isn't encouraging people to charge during peak demand times a bad idea (unless there is no other option)?

It totally makes sense for you to do this, but is this a good thing from a broader perspective? If we can all charge at work for free during the day we will do so. But this: (1) increases peak demand which may cause more electricity generation to be built, and (2) causes more GHG emissions because additional demand during the day will be met by burning Nat Gas (at least here in Ontario - worse in other jurisdictions that still have coal) rather than generating more electricity from hydro-electric.

Isn't encouraging people to charge during peak demand times a bad idea (unless there is no other option)?

What you say makes sense. But consider this:
-Are you saying that businesses should stop putting in chargers at their location because it will be used during electrical prime time ? To me that would be a step backwards for EV adoption.
-If I don't use the charger, then they may remove it since it is not used. (it is in a locked parking lot, and there is currently one other EV owner that uses the charger. I give him first dibs to it).

Thanks for the reminder on the broader perspective.

I think they should charge you for the cost of electricity at least so that you aren't being given a financial incentive to charge during the day at work rather than charging at home at night. Many buildings have put in chargers as it earns them LEED points and having LEED certification is attractive to tenants, allowing landlords to charge higher rent.

And most Tesla owners don't need to charge during the day given the long range of our vehicles- that can't be said for owners of some other EVs.

My employer has 36 level 2 chargers that are all powered by solar panels on the parking garage and available for free charging. The building I work in is also covered with solar panels and is net zero. Some employers are doing it right. [emoji4]

My employer has 36 level 2 chargers that are all powered by solar panels on the parking garage and available for free charging. The building I work in is also covered with solar panels and is net zero. Some employers are doing it right. [emoji4]
That's great to hear. They must have a ton of panels - doesn't a Level 2 draw 7.2kW (240V X 30A). If the panels are similar to the 250W ones on my roof that would mean about 30 panels (which are each about 1x2 m) times 36 or about 1000 panels.

But I presume the chargers aren't just powered by the solar panels as otherwise there is no power on cloudy days.

That's great to hear. They must have a ton of panels - doesn't a Level 2 draw 7.2kW (240V X 30A). If the panels are similar to the 250W ones on my roof that would mean about 30 panels (which are each about 1x2 m) times 36 or about 1000 panels.

But I presume the chargers aren't just powered by the solar panels as otherwise there is no power on cloudy days.
The parking garage has a 1.153 MW solar array (covering the roof and southern wall, 5 levels high) and many other buildings are covered with panels as well. There's a lot of information about it here. Here's a PDF with a little more information on the charging infrastructure. I believe the charging stations are load balanced so they aren't all producing full output simultaneously.
As you can see below, there are thousands of panels on the garage and other campus buildings:
8902ee5b182982eb38e5d51f1e69cf6c.jpg

Here's a Google Maps link that you can zoom in and count all the panels. [emoji41]

Last edited: