TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How do you close the door?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by SilkySmooth, Mar 7, 2018.

1. SilkySmooth

SilkySmooth Member

My car is red, and it shows fingerprints very well, especially on an otherwise clean car. I prefer to close it by pushing the chrome handle to avoid printing the door, but am not sure if this is a good idea given it is mechanical. Just wondering what others do, or if no one else cares about prints. My next car will probably be white.

2. Maximapolak

Maximapolak Member

I make a fist and push just below the chrome molding. It doesn't leave fingerprints.

3. GatorGuy

GatorGuy Member

I prefer a roundkick. ;)

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  4. kvandivo

kvandivo Member

I push on the chrome moulding.

5. BerTX

BerTX Supporting Member

I have a white car. I push on the white part because it doesn't leave prints you can see. Pushing on the chrome leaves prints. I know, not helpful.

The red looks nice. Wipe off the prints.

6. Nitemare3219

Nitemare3219 Member

Why not just push on the edge of the window glass?

7. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

I push the door next to the handle or the chrome trim.

Pushing the handle is putting pressure on the “paddle” inside the handle that is notorious for breaking.

Pushing the glass puts fingerprints where I can see them from inside the car while driving.

8. FlyF4

FlyF4 Member

Yea OP, I lifted your fingerprints from your door. Do you know you are wanted by the police in 9 states" :D
    On my non-Tesla car with the manual closing door, I use the butt push method :p On the X, I just walk away and depend on it to close.

9. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

Pushing on the glass is a bad idea on cars with frameless windows.

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  10. ThatGuySkye

ThatGuySkye Member

Open palm on the edge of the door... I thought I was the only one this anal lol

11. Gridlok

Gridlok Member

Pushing on the glass leaves fingerprints. I use a couple of fingers just below! I guess I'm not shocked that there are so many owners this anal! :)

12. AllThingsFasT

AllThingsFasT Member

Elbows all day.