Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you deal with cold steering wheel ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Coolmanfever, I just buy packets of those really cheap knit gloves for kids. They stretch to fit most adults. No worries if one goes missing. Thin enough not to interfere with driving. Mostly wear them on cold days walking the dog, only wear bulky winter gloves when actually seriously cold out.

• Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White
Have 2 questions. How long does it take to preheat the car if the garage is like 50F? And can you adjust air vent direction on the M3? I don't remember seeing any way to adjust vents when we test-drove it... but maybe we didn't look close enough, since we didn't need to. Thank you.

Have 2 questions. How long does it take to preheat the car if the garage is like 50F? And can you adjust air vent direction on the M3? I don't remember seeing any way to adjust vents when we test-drove it... but maybe we didn't look close enough, since we didn't need to. Thank you.
I don't know how fast the newer heat pump models take, but the resistive heaters take no time at all. Almost instant heat, so to preheat a car in a 50F garage? Maybe a minute at most. The vent direction can be easily adjusted via the central display.

hello all,

thanks for all the comments and advices. I live up North in Canada so moving to warmer climates is not an option for me right now. Maybe when I am old and wealthy enough, I can be snowbirds and won't have this first world problem.

I tried wearing glove while driving. Many times I forget my glove at work/home or lose my gloves. So I have to keep buying new gloves. Let's just say I am not a glove person. Plus, I hate the feeling driving with thick glove on my hand. Winter temperature get down to 14 F or lower in my area. Parking and preheating in garage helps, but preheating in parking lot outside of my work building does not heat up steering wheel to comfortable level when is 14F or below outside.

I am more than willing to pay to unlock steering wheel heating feature if there is such option.
I spent my youth in Toronto and Ottawa before California came calling. I have too many memories of sitting in the car, freezing my stones off, for that first 10 minutes it takes to warm up.

5 min
Touch fan icon bottom center part of screen then use finger to move airflow animation around

Hello all. For those of you live in below freezing level, how do you warm up your steering wheel during winter ? I find pre heating does not improve the temperature of the steering wheel. Just wondering if you guys have any hacks?[/

yes - split and aim airflow on HVAC screen to the back of the wheel. Heats it up quite well during preconditioning. Park car facing sun (while shining). Wear insulated driving gloves and use voice commands.
My MS had real leather wheel and was heated but man that could feel cold. The M3/Y vegan material by comparison never feels cold to me and been down to 15F so far. I am hoping for hidden heating element for holiday update!

My 2017 prius prime had a heated steering wheel. It was great.
I wish my 2020 model 3 had one. Couple of days ago, the high was 19F
Earlier this year I disassembled the steering wheel to determine if there was a 12 volt source suitable for an aftermarket add on.
I didn't see anything that could handle the 5-10 amps.
I would then have to find a place to mount a switch to turn it on or off.

My 2017 prius prime had a heated steering wheel. It was great.

I also have a 2017 Prius Prime. Funny that the $25k Prius had several advanced features, that you quickly take for granted in a modern automobile, that Tesla 3/Y simply can't touch.

Heated steering wheel
Blind spot monitor
Rear cross traffic monitor
Flawless intermittent wiper sensors
Flawless auto highbeams that don't blind others

This is such low-hanging fruit.

Reactions: SalisburySam

About 3 mins. I timed how long it would take to go from around 40F to 70F inside and it was 4 mins.

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311