Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you deal with small incidents/accidents?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

Several years ago when I was still a college student driving an Honda civic, I got side swiped just very little when I was making an exit from a parking lot, and some younger looking teen was making an entrance of the same parking lot where I was making an exit, I guess he didn't have enough space to go in, and barely tapped my driver door a little bit.

It was raining during the time and I had to rush to school, so I let him go. Later after I got home and cleaned the car, I noticed a slight dent and a bit of scratch from it. I was quite annoyed back then, but hey, you live and you learn. Ever since then, I haven't gotten any accidents of any scale fortunately.

Ever since I got my Model 3 a few months ago, this topic goes back to my head from time to time. Of course, anything relatively major or higher than my deductible, I will be asking for insurance info and such, but small things like someone accidentally swing the door a little too much to hit your car (door/mirror/etc), very slight dent/scratches, etc. What do you do in those situations? Do you let it go, do you ask them to pay a bit of cash, straight up asking for information like in a bigger accident, etc? Looking for your opinions as I am trying to prepare for such things like this in the future, thanks all.

What do you do in those situations? Do you let it go, do you ask them to pay a bit of cash, straight up asking for information like in a bigger accident, etc? Looking for your opinions as I am trying to prepare for such things like this in the future, thanks all.
The best advice I can give, is to exchange insurance information and let your carrier work it out. Your deductible doesn't apply if it iis the other parties fault. Even if the other party admits fault, minds change on reflection. I have cameras in both my cars to further improve my odds.