Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you drift in snow with your Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know the model 3 performance has a Track mode, which can be used on track, or to be able to drift when roads are covered in snow.

I live in Quebec and I drive a model 3 LR Dual motor and drifting in this car is really not smooth and doesn't work well at all.

I was wondering if you had found a way to make it drift smoothly... i used to drive BMW's and drifting was really good when you disengage the traction control...

I wish my model 3 has a «Sport traction control» setting so i can have a little bit of fun when it is snowing...

thank you!

I think you'll find that without track mode it's going to be difficult, particularly if you're trying to powerslide the car.

There's a video on YouTube somewhere of someone driving on snow with track mode on and off and the software just acts very 'safe' with it off.

Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
I know the model 3 performance has a Track mode, which can be used on track, or to be able to drift when roads are covered in snow.

I live in Quebec and I drive a model 3 LR Dual motor and drifting in this car is really not smooth and doesn't work well at all.

I was wondering if you had found a way to make it drift smoothly... i used to drive BMW's and drifting was really good when you disengage the traction control...

I wish my model 3 has a «Sport traction control» setting so i can have a little bit of fun when it is snowing...

thank you!

I agree that traction control/stability control on every vehicle should have a ‘fully defeat’ option for use at your discretion. It’s fine having all the babysitting features on for normal driving and having them auto reset back to on during startup after having been previously selected off. The issue with electric drive vs conventional drive is that electric drive, even in track mode, needs a level of power management computer control other than your right foot to control torque output as it can easily run away.
That said it’s to bad Tesla restricts track mode only to the P version. The basic traction/stability interventions are just software. My favourite handling vehicles, especially on track, have always been RWD without any intervention. It’s really the only way to explore the cars limit.

Salut l'ami.
So I'm taking advantage of the snow dump here in Vancouver, nothing like what you have, but enough to make things slippery at an unnamed and unoccupied lot. It is very tricky and I've noticed if you pulse the power pedal at the right time with the steering you can do it. I can't really explain it yet, lots of things happening in a very short period of time and the AWD Version works very hard to keep you going straight.
This car is somuch fun.
Amuse-toi.

Learn how to do the 'Scandinavian flick' if you haven't already. Done well, you can get almost any vehicle into a slide. Controlling the slide is a different matter, but that technique should at least get you sideways without relying only on your right foot.