Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you fit the front mud flaps on MIC M3 LR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my MIC M3 LR last week. As others have said, front splash guards are fitted and mud flaps were in the boot. But I cannot for the life of me figure out how to fit the mud flaps. I've tried pulling out the two plastic clips that secure the guards to the front wheel arch liner but they only come out half way, unless they need pulling harder, which I'm a little afraid to do! Reading the DIY Tesla instructions, it looks like I may have to remove the bolt that goes into the lower rocker panel underneath the car, but I've no idea what tool to use to undo it, given it's recessed so I can't see it. Can anyone shed any light?

You'll need a 10mm socket to remove the bolt in the rocker panel.

The two plastic clips are push rivets. There's two parts to each clip, pull the pin out then the retainer can also be removed.

I thought the extensions were just taped on to the smaller parts? I gave my set away so can't really remember.

You'll need a 10mm socket to remove the bolt in the rocker panel.

The two plastic clips are push rivets. There's two parts to each clip, pull the pin out then the retainer can also be removed.

I thought the extensions were just taped on to the smaller parts? I gave my set away so can't really remember.
Thanks @Medved_77. The flaps have holes so I'm assuming I need to remove the clips and guards, stick the flaps onto the guards, then reattach. I don't think I have a 10mm socket so may just leave it! Thanks again.

Thanks @Medved_77. The flaps have holes so I'm assuming I need to remove the clips and guards, stick the flaps onto the guards, then reattach. I don't think I have a 10mm socket so may just leave it! Thanks again.
I don’t believe the flaps require the socket. That’s part of the splash guard attachment. Just remove the push rivets, stick the flap onto the splash guard and replace the rivets.

Pretty straight forward, but just make sure everything is really clean and dry before you pop them on. Fitting as above.

having had the long ones on for a couple months now I should not have bothered. They scrape on everything and you can’t tell the difference between an ‘ok’ noise and something that could be doing damage. Corners taken at speed cause then to scrape, even with correct tyre pressures and no passengers.

The new M3s come with the splash guards fitted. It’s then down to the owner as to whether they also fit the longer flaps. Personally, I don’t like the look and don’t really need them down here in the balmy south.
And if you’re in non balmy country areas you’ll be constantly scraping them on any rough ground or tracks....

I think the thing that concerned me most about these was that the little 'buckets' on the front ones only having a single tiny drainage hole that gets blocked allowing water, mud and salt to build up out of sight but in contact with the body of the car.

watch

Pretty straight forward, but just make sure everything is really clean and dry before you pop them on. Fitting as above.

having had the long ones on for a couple months now I should not have bothered. They scrape on everything and you can’t tell the difference between an ‘ok’ noise and something that could be doing damage. Corners taken at speed cause then to scrape, even with correct tyre pressures and no passengers.
Useful - thanks. I'm going to leave it as the splash guards will hopefully be sufficient to stop chips.

I found the Tesla OEM mud flaps didn't offer much protection at all - the sides were full of dirt and I felt they were pointless. Luckily I had purchased a set of aftermarket ones (similar to these) while waiting for my TM3 to be delivered (as you do) only to find it had them installed.

I removed the OEM ones very soon after taking delivery and installed the aftermarket ones which offered much better protection. The difference was night and day. There's also a more expensive Rally Armor set people opt for.

Which one you end up going for would depend on how deep your pockets are.

Reactions: Tielle
Below was what was left of one of my mudflap extensions after 7k mile of heavily undulating rural roads!

tesla mudflap.JPG