Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you get in neutral?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a "N" on the stalk and the UI "PRND"
So am I missing something? I can't figure out how to activate neutral from the stalk.
5AC13ADB-7169-4756-AC2C-E99233FD0284.jpeg

So am I missing something? I can't figure out how to activate neutral from the stalk.
View attachment 348912

Page 41 of the Owners Manual

Neutral

Push the lever up or down to the first position and hold it there for more than 1 second to shift into Neutral. Neutral allows Model 3 to roll freely when you are not pressing the brake pedal.

Slight panic at the car wash glad I found this thread

Just be careful you do not lift your butt out of the seat. I went to put my wallet back in my back pocket and the car went into park midway though the car wash. I managed to get it back in drive and with my foot on the brake made it through.

I have not tried it but you may be able to to turn off creep mode for the car wash. There is also a transport mode which is probably the safest.

To know how to go to "N" (Neutral) is certainly something critical to know.
I particular for example if you go to a car wash where your car will be moved will been wash.

- I this case you must still seat in the car while in Neutral otherwise when you will open the door to exit the car,
the car will automatically go to Park and hold the parking brake.

- If you need to move or push your car by yourself, without anyone seating inside, you can use the summon with you phone App,
or use the Towing mode, which is accessible from the car display. However the Towing mode after 20 minutes will disengage,
so the car will return to Park mode, which might not something you want while using a car wash.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is however a way to keep the parking brake off, in particular if you car is lift from the ground,
while servicing your tires or brakes, without having someone sitting inside the car while in Neutral:

- Here are the instructions for avoiding the car to get in Park mode when in Neutral:

1. Buckle the driver's seat belt before sitting in the seat.

2. With the key fob inside the vehicle, sit in the driver's seat and press the break pedal to turn the vehicule on.
The speedometer and PRND are now displayed on the instrument cluster.

3. Shift the vehicle into neutral. This release the parking break.

4. Without leaving the seat, and with the brake pedal still depressed, open the driver's door
and use a pen or a small screwdriver to engage the door latch to its fully closed position (second detent).
This causes the vehicule to behave as if the door is closed.

5. Exit the vehicle, it can now remain in neutral with the parking brake off.
Now you can work on you wheels or brakes
6. Later on, to release the latch, pull the interior door handle, and to engage parking brake, shift back to Park.

@Watts_Up - Thanks for that, just as a clarification though you say that towing mode will disengage after 20 minutes. I don't see that reflected in the Model 3 owners manual.

I think that neutral while sitting in the seat is pretty well understood, but a form of "perma-neutral" is the Transport Mode which seems to be the best way. Can you (or anyone) confirm this?