TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

How do you get the rust off the rotors?

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by bart513, Apr 6, 2015.

1. bart513

bart513 Member

I just took my 2.5 out for a spin after the winter and noticed a significant amount of rust on the rotors. How can I clean that off safely?
    Thanks!

2. TOBASH

TOBASH Member

Several guys speak of this. I believe Doug the Mod is one, but maybe it is another mod...

You need to drive and hit the brakes several times, and repeat.

Best,

T

3. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

4. rdstr

rdstr Member

I don't think he is talking about the rust on the actual friction part of the disk... he is talking about the hub part. Clean it and treat it with a rust stabilizer or remover, then paint it with a rust inhibiting paint. Avoid any paint on friction part of disk but if you get some on, it will 'burn off' as long as it's a small amount. Was that the rust you were referring to Bart?

5. bart513

bart513 Member

Yes exactly. Thanks so much. I'll go to a hardware store and find some rust remover. Hmmm in order to paint it I need to take off the wheels right?

6. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

Bart, you could get a body shop to paint the hubs with POR 15...I have been pleased with the results...it will cost more than the home remedy, but they will look great and for a longer period I'd bet...

7. bart513

bart513 Member

Thanks Jaff. Can you send me a picture of yours??? What color did you paint them?

8. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

I also used POR 15. Worked pretty good but took a long time to apply because I was trying hard not to get any on the friction surface.

9. bart513

bart513 Member

Thank you Henry:) Hope that you are well these days!