Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you get voice command to work?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK what is the deal with this feature? I haven't been able to get it to work yet? It always ends up saying "unable to process". I have rebooted the system and just got the 4.5 update installed today. Still doesn't work.

Appreciate your help

Thanks

Fred
New P85+ owner

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't speak directly after it beeps. Wait until it says "Ready" (or something like that) on the glass console.

Otherwise it misses the first second or two of what you say, and it gets confused since you're starting mid-sentence.

Eventually you get used to just waiting a bit after the beep before speaking.

I have a terrible South African accent and it can still recognize what I say, after I got used to the timing.

And yes, hold down the button while speaking :).

Example

0. When you have a "3G" symbol on the top right of the 17" panel Voice Commands are available
1. Hold button down until it says "Recording"
2. Continue to hold button down and say "Navigate to Best Buy"
3. Continue to hold button down just a half second longer then release

Last edited:
Has anyone put together a list of valid voice commands? I always fuddle through several requests before I get what I want if I am able.
The release notes...
Version 4.0 (v1.17.50) said:
Listen to Music
You can use your voice to search for and play selections from the lntemet music service Slacker. Begin your command with "Listen to" or “Play,” followed by the name of an album, artist, or combination.
  • Listen to The Black Keys
  • Listen to Boogie Wonderland
  • Play Honkey Tonk Chateau by Elton John
  • Listen to Free Fallin by Tom Petty
Once a selection is made, you can then listen to a custom radio station based on your search results. Note that providing multiple cues in your voice command, such as artist plus song name, will often improve the voice recognifion accuracy.

Navigation
To navigate or search within the Maps app. say 'Drive to," "Navigate to," or “Where is," followed by an address, business name, business category, or landmark.
  • Navigate to 3500 Deer Creek Road Palo Alto
  • Navigate to Starbucks on University Ave In Palo Alto
  • Drive to Starbucks on Homestead in Cupertino
  • Navigate to the French Laundry
  • Where is Stanford University

Call a contact
To place calls on a phone connected via Bluetooth, start your command with "Call" or “Dial,” followed by the contact's first and/or last names.
  • Call Jason
  • Dial Mike Phillips

Model S software/firmware changelog - Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum

So it's not just me ... I've noticed since 4.5, push 2? that my navigate and call have become very difficult to get to work.

How to get them to work, I think we all know, but I think it's a bit broken in 4.5, rev. 2?

Think today I'll reboot and try it again.

FWIW, it's never been very good for me. I've tried waiting before, after, etc. I'm from Oregon and the Pacific Northwest is generally considered to have little to no "accent" so I don't think it's enunciation.

FWIW, it's never been very good for me. I've tried waiting before, after, etc. I'm from Oregon and the Pacific Northwest is generally considered to have little to no "accent" so I don't think it's enunciation.

Some voice systems work better if you slur your words together rather than enunciating clearly. Mostly though, it just doesn't work.

1. Wait for "recording", as some have said.
2. Speak normally. Not too loud, too soft, too slow, or too fast. Sometimes enunciating just a little more than normal speech helps.
3. When finished speaking, wait a second before releasing the button.
4. If windows or pano are open, lean toward the mic in the center above the windshield and speak more loudly.

Using the above tips, my voice control works about 95% of the time, even on 4.5 (.61).

I've had surprisingly good success with voice control, even saying an entire address. The only time I've had issues is when I've had poor cell reception.

Ditto. I just find that some variations on the commands simply don't work (e.g., "drive"...). Occasionally it'll mangle something, but I've been surprised how well it works.

And thanks to Todd for the list of steps--some folks start speaking too soon, methinks.

- - - Updated - - -

Some voice systems work better if you slur your words together rather than enunciating clearly. Mostly though, it just doesn't work.

I have noticed that sometimes if I over-enunciate, it causes problems. I expect it to need that, but if I speak without artificial pauses between words--speak normally I mean, not slurring everything into one giant word--it usually works fine. Funky.

I have a terrible South African accent and it can still recognize what I say, after I got used to the timing..

Well, so does Elon and it always works for him :). I have an English accent with 5 years of Texas mixed in y'all, so it only works for me with my best effort at an American accent. I've yet to own a car with a good VR system, I guess the S is the best so far, but the bar is set real low.

1. Wait for "recording", as some have said.
2. Speak normally. Not too loud, too soft, too slow, or too fast. Sometimes enunciating just a little more than normal speech helps.
3. When finished speaking, wait a second before releasing the button.
4. If windows or pano are open, lean toward the mic in the center above the windshield and speak more loudly.

Using the above tips, my voice control works about 95% of the time, even on 4.5 (.61).

Thanks for the tip! Worked for me today for the first time

After the 3rd demo of the feature (quite a bit back) to passengers and it just not working at all, I took it out of my demo rotation. As for actually using the feature, I'm far too impatient. Also, when it does recognize what I'm saying it (speech to text) still doesn't let me look up the exact song I want reliably (search engine).