TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

How do you get voice command to work?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Fredly, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Fredly

Fredly Member

#1 Fredly, Aug 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2013
    OK what is the deal with this feature? I haven't been able to get it to work yet? It always ends up saying "unable to process". I have rebooted the system and just got the 4.5 update installed today. Still doesn't work.

Appreciate your help

Thanks

Fred
    New P85+ owner

2. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Just in case:

Hold the button down while talking. Then release.

3. deonb

deonb Active Member

Don't speak directly after it beeps. Wait until it says "Ready" (or something like that) on the glass console.

Otherwise it misses the first second or two of what you say, and it gets confused since you're starting mid-sentence.

Eventually you get used to just waiting a bit after the beep before speaking.

I have a terrible South African accent and it can still recognize what I say, after I got used to the timing.

And yes, hold down the button while speaking :).

4. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

#4 Discoducky, Aug 5, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
    Example

0. When you have a "3G" symbol on the top right of the 17" panel Voice Commands are available
    1. Hold button down until it says "Recording"
    2. Continue to hold button down and say "Navigate to Best Buy"
    3. Continue to hold button down just a half second longer then release

5. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Has anyone put together a list of valid voice commands? I always fuddle through several requests before I get what I want if I am able.

6. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

The release notes...
    Model S software/firmware changelog - Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum

7. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Thanks Brian. I forgot that was there.

8. kendallpb

kendallpb Model S: P 8061

"Drive to" never works for me, which I find amusing since "navigate" is a longer word than "drive." I would've thought it more complicated to parse--more error prone. (shrug) Maybe I say "drive" funny. ;-)

9. Fredly

Fredly Member

Ok I got it to "Navigate to" today. It seems to struggle with the call and play commands? Is there some learning going on in the system or is it just us that have to learn to communicate with Hal?

10. sp4rk

sp4rk Banned

So it's not just me ... I've noticed since 4.5, push 2? that my navigate and call have become very difficult to get to work.

How to get them to work, I think we all know, but I think it's a bit broken in 4.5, rev. 2?

Think today I'll reboot and try it again.

11. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

FWIW, it's never been very good for me. I've tried waiting before, after, etc. I'm from Oregon and the Pacific Northwest is generally considered to have little to no "accent" so I don't think it's enunciation.

12. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Some voice systems work better if you slur your words together rather than enunciating clearly. Mostly though, it just doesn't work.

13. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

With .61 it works for me every time YMMV

14. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

1. Wait for "recording", as some have said.
    2. Speak normally. Not too loud, too soft, too slow, or too fast. Sometimes enunciating just a little more than normal speech helps.
    3. When finished speaking, wait a second before releasing the button.
    4. If windows or pano are open, lean toward the mic in the center above the windshield and speak more loudly.

Using the above tips, my voice control works about 95% of the time, even on 4.5 (.61).

15. Denarius

Denarius Active Member

I've had surprisingly good success with voice control, even saying an entire address. The only time I've had issues is when I've had poor cell reception.

16. kendallpb

kendallpb Model S: P 8061

Ditto. I just find that some variations on the commands simply don't work (e.g., "drive"...). Occasionally it'll mangle something, but I've been surprised how well it works.

And thanks to Todd for the list of steps--some folks start speaking too soon, methinks.

- - - Updated - - -

I have noticed that sometimes if I over-enunciate, it causes problems. I expect it to need that, but if I speak without artificial pauses between words--speak normally I mean, not slurring everything into one giant word--it usually works fine. Funky.

17. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

Well, so does Elon and it always works for him :). I have an English accent with 5 years of Texas mixed in y'all, so it only works for me with my best effort at an American accent. I've yet to own a car with a good VR system, I guess the S is the best so far, but the bar is set real low.

18. simplesolar

simplesolar Member

Thanks for the tip! Worked for me today for the first time

19. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

After the 3rd demo of the feature (quite a bit back) to passengers and it just not working at all, I took it out of my demo rotation. As for actually using the feature, I'm far too impatient. Also, when it does recognize what I'm saying it (speech to text) still doesn't let me look up the exact song I want reliably (search engine).

20. AC1K

AC1K Member

hmm is there a voice command to play USB Drive 1? (play ALL songs on drive 1)