Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you guys feel about the sound or lack of that the roadster will make?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My problem with this is that i often hear another car coming before i see it. This is a safety issue. Like when i cross a street. Is it really going to be that quiet. I do like it because i like listening to my music and it would be nice not to have the engine sound. Plus i hate those ferraris that wake you up in the middle of the night they are so loud.

Reactions: Vern Padgett
I think you'll still hear the car coming, the electric motor is quiet, but not silent and the tires still make noise.

I don't know if any of you have done this but coming from a hilly area we used to ride down hills in neutral with the windows open and there's just nothing like that fast quiet feeling that I think will come with the Tesla.

Why not make this into a feature? 8)

User selectable engine sounds. You can select how your car sounds from supplied 8 different hums and tunes and also produce your own custom roars. They are reproduced by car's standard 2kW 8-way hifi system that is bound to be heard by thy neighbours and their dogs.

:D

[geek-alert]
I want ILM-style sound-effects.
;D

The high-speed whine has a distinctive sound, but you need some kind of low-frequency sound to alert people that the car is about to move away. This was demonstrated when Tesla folks wanted to move the car and people had to be shooed out of the way, not realizing that the car was even on. That said, I want the car to be quiet, that's a distinct advantage in my eyes.

-Dave

WarpedOne said:
Why not make this into a feature? 8)

User selectable engine sounds. You can select how your car sounds from supplied 8 different hums and tunes and also produce your own custom roars. They are reproduced by car's standard 2kW 8-way hifi system that is bound to be heard by thy neighbours and their dogs.

:D
i think that is an awesome idea but will probably never happen because it is kind of a novelty.
if you blast your music people might be able to hear you coming which will lessen the danger

I'm cool with the quiet car. I never really "got it" when people wax poetic about their engine noises.

Safety? Well. . . It might be an issue at first, but I'm sure people will get used to it. It seems the main problem would be when you are maneuvering in a tight area, like a parking lot, and people can't hear you fire up the engine. You can't rev the motor to let them know to get out of your way. But there's always the horn.

The horn on my car typically gets used once a year, when I go for my inspection sticker. Maybe I'll have to learn how to use it.

tonybelding said:
I'm cool with the quiet car.  I never really "got it" when people wax poetic about their engine noises. Safety?  Well. . .  It might be an issue at first, but I'm sure people will get used to it.  It seems the main problem would be when you are maneuvering in a tight area, like a parking lot, and people can't hear you fire up the engine.  You can't rev the motor to let them know to get out of your way.  But there's always the horn. The horn on my car typically gets used once a year, when I go for my inspection sticker.  Maybe I'll have to learn how to use it.
I ride a Harley, and I had the Stage 1 performance modifications done, and it is a lot louder.  I've had many motorcyclists tell me to "make it as loud as possible so the other drivers know you are there."  But that is total (or near-total) BS.  Most motorcycle accidents would not be prevented by loud pipes.  So the noise issue is not a safety issue. 

What existing cars already need to have is what the electrics should have:  A loud with several loudness levels.  Push it gently, you get an audible but not loud or annoying sound-- enough to let folks know you are in the car and they are in your way, or whatever.  Push it hard, and you get the sound that auto horns currently make. 

We need the same for our home lighting systems-- A gradated switch, with noticeable gradations-- Who has been blinded in the middle of the night by turning on your lights, when all you needed was a little light?  I can't use a rheostat, because I switched to all compact flourescent over 10 years ago.
Vern

Ahahahahah, i could hate you for just thinking up the beeper idea... but i wont cause im not like that... No beeper!!!

Think about this... Hard top tesla + black as night + black rims + black tint + tinted head/tail lights + black calipers + no noise = most bad-ass sleeper stealth car ever...

I dont care as long as it goes like shtik.

Now that i think about it, In racing situations it would allow easier communication between the team and the driver and less driver fatigue. If the performace of the car doesnt degrade much as the batt charge goes down, this car may make a big impact on endurance racing.

I love the silent engine because of the isolation it will bring with it.

I love a great tone from the engine. It really is appart of the driving experance but imagine for a moment that you're out in the twisties. You go flying past someone house bouncing off the rev limiter. People hear it. Worse of all, people who aren't in the car hate you for it. Whether they are watching wheel of fortune or cooking dinner. All of a sudden "those loud sports cars" become a topic of conversation.

The silent engine gives us the ability to still fly past someones house in the twisties enjoying every aspect of driving. Except now, unless someone is looking for you, they won't know.