Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you guys feel about the sound or lack of that the roadster will make?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why make 200 milliion+ (potential) EVs noisy for 1.3 million blind people who might be mobile enough to be near a street. Bicycles are quiet, the new EV motorcyles willl be silent, NEVs, golf carts, runners, scooters,... The list goes on.

Should everything make noise pollution?

I like the idea to give motion sensors to the blind.

By the way, When riding my bike on the road it's the buses that scare the *#&/@ out of me. When I am stopped waiting for a light a bus will appear next to me with a loud braking screech.
I never hear them coming because the engine is 30' back behind me at the rear of the bus.

Reactions: Vern Padgett
My Cousin has one. It's pretty loud, Its just weird. Driving down the street it makes a very unique sound kinda like a ferrari or lambo this is more of a wine and just, i dunno how to describe it. It perfect. Not obnoxiously loud but good for what it is.

i have placed my order along with my wifes order for 2008.
;D

Count me as one of those not too concerned about the car's quiet motor, but I would like to know how much traffic noise will bleed into the car. I don't expect the driving experience will be all that tranquil, even with the hardtop installed. Come to think of it, other than trying to decipher an ICE engine's various whines and growls, what purpose does the ability to hear outside noises accomplish?

These days, noise reduction technologies on ICE cars are so good that many are practically silent.

On some Lexus models for instance you do have to check the tachometer to make sure if the gas motor is running or not.

I don't think it should be a requirement for a car to emit sounds for safety reasons.

Electric motors have their own distinctive "whirring" sound, it might be how loud or muffled the electric motor would be. On the sport version more "whirring" on a sedan less "whirring".

Once electric vehicles become mainstream, human nature being what it is, the "whirring" sounds will identify the different makes of vehicles. Manufacturers will make it a point to have a distinctive sound.

• Informative
Yeah, that video between :10 and :20.

Yes, probably on a dyno.

And so in practice in a real car the wind and tire noise overwealm the motor noise after about 4K RPMs so you don't get to hear all that.

From ":10" to ":15" sounds familiar, but after that it sounds different from what I remember.

Actually come to think of it I have probably never been past 9K RPMs in the Roadster so I don't even know what it really sounds like at the top end (assuming you could hear anything over the wind & tire noise).

that sound was recorded on EP2 on a chassis dyno in San Rafael - at WORKs Mitsubishi. (I'm really enjoying sharing meaningless trivia!)

You sure it was EP2, not EP1?

wired_for_sound.jpg

(notice all the microphones and the Mitsubishi EVO in the background?)

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative