TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How do you keep the car turned off?

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by sperkin, Jun 30, 2018.

1. sperkin

sperkin Member

How do you keep the car turned off while sitting inside? I used the screen to turn it off from the safety & security menu but it keeps powering back on when I'm not even using the brake pedals or opening a door.

It also just threw a "Service Is Needed" error message while I'm sitting inside waiting for the kids.

This is very annoying when I'm trying to make a call without using bluetooth. I just want to shut the car off and make a call in privacy.

Please help!

2. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Member

To make a call without Bluetooth, you should be able to just hit the Bluetooth button your phone that appears during a call. Alternatively, just turn off Bluetooth on your phone.
    If you don't want to ever use Bluetooth on your phone, you can unpair the phone from the audio system, while leaving the locking mechanism paired.
    Turning the A/C off isn't something that I'd like to do while waiting.

3. sperkin

sperkin Member

Thank you. I don't need the A/C since the ocean breeze with the windows down is good for me. Just need to sit in the car sometimes while I wait for the kids. Also, would like to take a call without fussing with the phone's bluetooth. Just need to keep the car off. Very simple concept.

Seems like there is a work around for everything on a Tesla and not many people in this community that just want things to work. Not sure why Tesla has an Off switch in the UI but it doesn't work.

Screenshot_20180630-191313_Chrome.jpg

4. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

There’s really no such thing as turning a Tesla off, just as it doesn’t have an on button.

5. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

I've always wondered about the off. In the S it definitely does work, but lots of things can turn it back on. Opening door, pressing on brake, I think even moving around in the seat.

6. RedModel3

RedModel3 Member

Just finished the first day of my first major road trip, and I had this very problem while waiting for the car to charge. It was raining, and I really didn't feel like walking anywhere, so I sat inside to eat my lunch. But it seems crazy that the screen kept turning on while charging. After all, I want to charge the battery, not discharge it.

Seriously, if all it takes to keep turning back on is breathing or fidgeting in the seat, that is unacceptable. This needs to be fixed. If I choose to power down with the menu button, I damned well want the power to stay off.

• Like x 1
  7. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

There’s no reason for the screen to be off, or to power the car off. The energy use when charging is trivial. It would be like turning the radio off in an ICE to save gas. You don’t need to think about the on/off state of the car. That’s ICE-think. This is something you’ll get used to, and may forget to turn an ICE off next time you drive one. But if you’re going to obsess over a small fraction of a kWh, maybe an EV isn’t for you.

• Like x 1
  8. RedModel3

RedModel3 Member

This is not about how I'm thinking. Just the day before, my touchscreen malfunctioned and froze. Others here have had problems of various kinds as well. It's a matter of trusting the technology. There IS an option to power down. Why have that option if it doesn't work? No need for the psychoanalysis.

• Like x 2