Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you keep the car unlocked in the garage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nothing I know of yet but I do think I read about an update that might allow you to set a geo fence to keep the car unlocked. Of course if you ever leave the car outside it will also be unlocked. Just speculation right now.

Spitballing some advice...

1) Disassociate your phone from your car. Use the keycard and you'll have complete control over locking/unlocking.
2) Assuming that you want to keep using your smartphone as the key, place your phone as far away from your car at home. Use the app to unlock the car. Hopefully it will stay unlocked as long as it does not "see" the phone leave its area.

Reactions: Blue in NC
1) Disassociate your phone from your car. Use the keycard and you'll have complete control over locking/unlocking.
That is my plan, since it meshes with my desire to minimize vampire losses.

People just have to be aware that the card has minimum range, so it is possible to leave it in the car and not get a warning. I did just that the other day and had to wait for my dead phone to charge to open the car.

• Informative
Reactions: Dr. J
As high tech as the car is, and with features like the auto garage open/close based on GPS, you'd think an auto "garage" profile could be implemented. Touching a button isn't that hard, but it seems like an inelegant solution for this car. I gotta think the great majority of current Tesla owners have a garage and a lot of them would like such a feature.

Locking and such is associated with the driver profile. I have a profile for the garage -- it slides the seat back a bit (like "Easy Entry"), and leaves it unlocked. So it's as simple as choosing the garage profile when in the garage.
All I see when setting profile is mirrors, seat and steering wheel, how do you set the non-locking in the profile? What else can you set on a profile?

Locking and such is associated with the driver profile. I have a profile for the garage -- it slides the seat back a bit (like "Easy Entry"), and leaves it unlocked. So it's as simple as choosing the garage profile when in the garage.
Does the phone have to be in the car in order for the car to drive? If my phone is in the house but within range of the car and my kid jumps in and shift to drive, will the car take off?

Does the phone have to be in the car in order for the car to drive? If my phone is in the house but within range of the car and my kid jumps in and shift to drive, will the car take off?

I presume you're talking Model 3; I have a Model S. If keys are out of range, then keys are out of range: the doors won't be locked, but the car won't be driveable, either. If the key IS in range, all bets are off. Best to teach the kids not to play in the car.

That is my plan, since it meshes with my desire to minimize vampire losses.

People just have to be aware that the card has minimum range, so it is possible to leave it in the car and not get a warning. I did just that the other day and had to wait for my dead phone to charge to open the car.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Yeah, good luck with that.

They seem to really hate Slacker radio, but it works great for me. Must be an early VIN issue.

I have seen several people complain about Slacker.... I don't see how it could be a build issue since it's a software thing, the 4G/LTE phone network connectivity shouldn't be an issue unless Tesla changed hardware models.

They really don't like the key card, and I can confirm that my experience with it was pretty horrible as well. This has become a very common complaint across owners as well as reviewers like these guys, Consumer Reports and others so I imagine Tesla will offer a key fob soon.

Nothing I know of yet but I do think I read about an update that might allow you to set a geo fence to keep the car unlocked. Of course if you ever leave the car outside it will also be unlocked. Just speculation right now.

If they implement geofencing, they shouldn't geofence to keep the car unlocked. They should geofence to turn OFF walk-up unlock and walk-away lock. The net result is that you have those features turned on when away from home, but off when at home. Thus, at home you have complete manual control of lock/unlock. If you want to leave it in the garage unlocked, you can, or you can leave it in the driveway and manually lock it.