TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How do you keep the car unlocked in the garage?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by iwannam3, Jul 8, 2018.

1. iwannam3

iwannam3 Member

Many times I have gone back to the car to unload something and it has locked after unlocking it with the phone. Any way to keep it unlocked in my own garage?

2. SZNJ

SZNJ Member

Nothing I know of yet but I do think I read about an update that might allow you to set a geo fence to keep the car unlocked. Of course if you ever leave the car outside it will also be unlocked. Just speculation right now.

3. RayK

RayK Member

Spitballing some advice...

1) Disassociate your phone from your car. Use the keycard and you'll have complete control over locking/unlocking.
    2) Assuming that you want to keep using your smartphone as the key, place your phone as far away from your car at home. Use the app to unlock the car. Hopefully it will stay unlocked as long as it does not "see" the phone leave its area.

• Like x 1
  4. SageBrush

SageBrush 2018: Drain the Sewer

That is my plan, since it meshes with my desire to minimize vampire losses.

People just have to be aware that the card has minimum range, so it is possible to leave it in the car and not get a warning. I did just that the other day and had to wait for my dead phone to charge to open the car.

• Informative x 1
  5. ThisIsTrue

ThisIsTrue Re-member

Locking and such is associated with the driver profile. I have a profile for the garage -- it slides the seat back a bit (like "Easy Entry"), and leaves it unlocked. So it's as simple as choosing the garage profile when in the garage.

• Helpful x 12
    • Informative x 5
    • Like x 2
  6. vinnie97

vinnie97 #WalkAway

The delivery should have come with at least 2 cards.

7. gambit48

gambit48 Member

As high tech as the car is, and with features like the auto garage open/close based on GPS, you'd think an auto "garage" profile could be implemented. Touching a button isn't that hard, but it seems like an inelegant solution for this car. I gotta think the great majority of current Tesla owners have a garage and a lot of them would like such a feature.

• Like x 2
  8. outie

outie Active Member

Have suggested the feature to Tesla NA service multiple times as well as tweeting EM since late 2016. Nada. Zip.

9. TheLocNar

TheLocNar Member

I plan to keep one of the keycards by the door to the garage so I can grab it just for this purpose.

• Like x 2
  10. Aellinsar

Aellinsar Member

An interesting solution that I wouldn't have thought of. Thanks.

• Like x 2
  11. JulienW

JulienW Member

• Informative x 1
  12. iwannam3

iwannam3 Member

All I see when setting profile is mirrors, seat and steering wheel, how do you set the non-locking in the profile? What else can you set on a profile?

13. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

You should be able to set auto lock/unlock, regenerative breaking, and creep mode with the profile as well.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  14. eCharcoal

eCharcoal Member

Does the phone have to be in the car in order for the car to drive? If my phone is in the house but within range of the car and my kid jumps in and shift to drive, will the car take off?

15. ThisIsTrue

ThisIsTrue Re-member

I presume you're talking Model 3; I have a Model S. If keys are out of range, then keys are out of range: the doors won't be locked, but the car won't be driveable, either. If the key IS in range, all bets are off. Best to teach the kids not to play in the car.

16. voip-ninja

voip-ninja Give me some sugar baby

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Yeah, good luck with that.

17. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

They seem to really hate Slacker radio, but it works great for me. Must be an early VIN issue.

18. voip-ninja

voip-ninja Give me some sugar baby

I have seen several people complain about Slacker.... I don't see how it could be a build issue since it's a software thing, the 4G/LTE phone network connectivity shouldn't be an issue unless Tesla changed hardware models.

They really don't like the key card, and I can confirm that my experience with it was pretty horrible as well. This has become a very common complaint across owners as well as reviewers like these guys, Consumer Reports and others so I imagine Tesla will offer a key fob soon.

19. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

Brilliant work around.

• Like x 3
  20. SomeJoe7777

SomeJoe7777 Marginally-Known Member

If they implement geofencing, they shouldn't geofence to keep the car unlocked. They should geofence to turn OFF walk-up unlock and walk-away lock. The net result is that you have those features turned on when away from home, but off when at home. Thus, at home you have complete manual control of lock/unlock. If you want to leave it in the garage unlocked, you can, or you can leave it in the driveway and manually lock it.

• Like x 5
    • Helpful x 3