Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you keep the car unlocked in the garage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have seen several people complain about Slacker.... I don't see how it could be a build issue since it's a software thing, the 4G/LTE phone network connectivity shouldn't be an issue unless Tesla changed hardware models.

I'm finding out that a lot of software issues with the Model 3 varies from car to car. I've had zero issues with Slacker so far and I use it daily. Of course if you're driving in the middle of nowhere and there's no 4G/LTE then the next track will not load but that's normal no matter what music app you use.

I'm finding out that a lot of software issues with the Model 3 varies from car to car. I've had zero issues with Slacker so far and I use it daily. Of course if you're driving in the middle of nowhere and there's no 4G/LTE then the next track will not load but that's normal no matter what music app you use.

If two cars are on the same build of software, in the same coverage area and have dramatically different experiences with an app, that wouldn't be a software problem, that could be a problem with a faulty piece of hardware, such as a flaky cellular radio, faulty antenna, poor antenna connection, etc.

It is also possible that Tesla sources some of these components from multiple suppliers and there are hardware differences that only show up in specific hardware revisions installed in some cars.

The only way it would be a software problem is if you had different model cellular hardware in different vehicles AND the software/driver-firmware handled the hardware differences poorly.

Many times I have gone back to the car to unload something and it has locked after unlocking it with the phone. Any way to keep it unlocked in my own garage?

I just tried this, and it works: when you open the door to egress, tap the lock icon on the top of the screen, I.e., lock and unlock.

Kind of a minor pain, but it works “once”. By “once” I mean this one caveat: if you go back to the car and open the door and close it again, it will auto lock.

I just tried this, and it works: when you open the door to egress, tap the lock icon on the top of the screen, I.e., lock and unlock.

Kind of a minor pain, but it works “once”. By “once” I mean this one caveat: if you go back to the car and open the door and close it again, it will auto lock.
I never thought of that. I guess you just need to click it every time you open and close the door.

It seems like they could just implement a poor man's geo fence where if the car is connected to your home wifi, it should remain unlocked.
Has same issue as geo fence though where parking your car in the driveway would leave it unlocked unless you hunt in menus to disable it.

Is there a setting I can use if my passenger wants to wait in my MS with the air conditioning on while I am out of the car for a few minutes? I don't want the doors to lock or the AC to go off. I tried leaving the keys with the passenger, and he got locked in. Not pleasant I told him that since he had the keys, he could have pushed the center console AC and unlock button, but I'm wondering if there is another way.

Is there a setting I can use if my passenger wants to wait in my MS with the air conditioning on while I am out of the car for a few minutes? I don't want the doors to lock or the AC to go off. I tried leaving the keys with the passenger, and he got locked in. Not pleasant I told him that since he had the keys, he could have pushed the center console AC and unlock button, but I'm wondering if there is another way.
You can use the app to turn on climate control.

Also, your Model 3 came with keys? Looks like I need to go visit the Service Center again.

Reactions: Nocturnal

What is this "keys" you talk of???

Reactions: Tezzie
That is my plan, since it meshes with my desire to minimize vampire losses.

People just have to be aware that the card has minimum range, so it is possible to leave it in the car and not get a warning. I did just that the other day and had to wait for my dead phone to charge to open the car.

How did that happen? I've done the same (left card in the car) and the car did not auto lock.

I have a garage profile with the doors left unlocked. I do notice that the dash of my 2018 S is always on when I walk out there, without a fob, for something. When I lock the doors with my phone, everything turns off as it should. May go back to just having to unlock it every time I need to get into it?