TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

How do you keep the heater and stereo on when exiting the car

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by GetAmped, Jan 7, 2015.

1. GetAmped

GetAmped Member

I tried to find an answer to this in the forum, so apologies if answered somewhere already...

Frequently when on road trips with my Family, my Wife will be in the front passenger seat and I will get out of the car to go into a store etc.

How can I keep the heater, stereo, seat heaters, lights etc. on while I am out of the car? If I leave the key inside will this work or something else to do?

2. Majerus

Majerus Member

She just has to touch the screen when it goes dark and the car leaves those things on.

3. Bighorn

Bighorn Member

I think neutral and e-brake or if she touches the 17" screen.

4. Majerus

Majerus Member

Just tested this in my garage, you can just put it in park, walk out with the fob and then the passenger can touch the screen then everything resumes.

5. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

Just leave the fob in the car. If you walk away from the car with the fob and she tries to open the door, I think the alarm will go off.

6. ClearwaterBchSteve

ClearwaterBchSteve P445 / VIN 1794

It would be nice if there was a brief time (couple of seconds) that systems (HVAC, sound system, etc.) would stay on inside the car after driver leaves and closes door allowing the passenger to choose to "leave on" without everything going off, then having to be turned on again.

7. GetAmped

GetAmped Member

What is the timeout between touching the screen and it turning off again?

8. caddieo

caddieo Member

I KNOW the alarm will go off. :scared:

9. 3s-a-charm

3s-a-charm Active Member

So which is it? caddio says that the alarm will go off if you take the fob with you but is that only if the passenger doesn't touch the screen? I suppose if I leave my (nearly teenage) kids in the back seat they would have to reach up and touch the screen or the alarm would go off?

If I leave the fob in the car but leave the car (butt sensor deactivates) does the car remain on?

10. caddieo

caddieo Member

Clarification: I left the car with the fob. Wifey decides to get out and catch up to me a minute later. She opens the door and the alarm goes off.

11. AndreyATC

AndreyATC Member

But the question is, did she touch the screen when you left so the car was still running heater/stereo?
    Otherwise car lock itself and then you'll have alarm going off

12. Zextraterrestrial

you need to touch the screen before you exit if the car has auto locks when you walk away turned on.
    best way is to park the car with the e-brake button on the touch screen if you really want it to stay on. otherwise the screen touch to stay on method times out after a while.
    e-brake will leave radio on even if you exit the car and close everything. this is what I do if to wash my car with the stereo playing

13. mibaro2

mibaro2 Member

You can also just close the driver door to the first click. Everything will keep working.
    The other method I use is putting the car in neutral and activating the e-brake (as others have mentioned).

14. Zextraterrestrial

but your door handle stay extended + not the best if you are using heater or ac or trying to wash your car

15. Rheazombi

Rheazombi Member

Pro tip (which I have never seen mentioned on this forum)
    If you are a passenger and driver leaves, and you forget to press the screen in time (I think thirty seconds? There's a subtle clicking sound once you've missed the window) Then press your hand on the drivers seat, it takes a bit of force but is quite easy to do. You're basically fooling the car into thinking the driver sat back down.

As for the car alarm, I'm still experimenting with when/why this happens. (Assume driver is gone, you don't have the key but the screen is on) - I suspect you're okay if you unlock the car from the screen first before you try the door but not sure.

16. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Washing wouldn't be good, but the heater is okay, everything touches so there's no major air leaks, although it's not as compressed as fully closed.