TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How do you know that you’ve received the acceleration boost upgrade?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by Horizonjob, Dec 29, 2019.

1. Horizonjob

Horizonjob Member

I won’t get into the pluses and minuses of buying the performance boost. I toyed with getting the Performance version, but $10k was too much for things I didn’t need. Another $2k was a lot, but not enough to dissuade me. After buying the upgrade, the instructions were that the update would be pushed while I was parked and connected to WiFi.

I didn’t see anything the next morning like I normally do with a software update (i.e., asking me to download, then showing release notes). Does that mean it hasn’t come yet, or is this update more stealthy? If so, how do I know I received it? Is there some new setting I haven’t noticed yet? Thanks!

2. jkoya

jkoya NA2 NSX

When you touch Controls (front view of car icon) in the bottom corner of the Touch Screen, then hit Driving, do you see an option of Sport in the Acceleration section ?

• Like x 1
  3. MichaelP90DL

MichaelP90DL Active Member

More speeding tickets.

• Funny x 4
  4. Horizonjob

Horizonjob Member

Yes. I just couldn’t remember if it was there before. I gather from your post it wasn’t. ;-) Thanks.

5. jkoya

jkoya NA2 NSX

I think the choices you had prior to the upgrade was Chill and Standard. I have the performance 3, so my choice was always sport.

Out of curiosity, does the car feel like it accelerates quicker now ?

6. Horizonjob

Horizonjob Member

There is that.... Honestly, my LR AWD was plenty fast before, but I couldn’t resist.

7. jebinc

jebinc M3 LR AWD w/FSD and white premium interior

Zoom-zoom! :D

• Funny x 1
  8. Horizonjob

Horizonjob Member

Yes. It was fast before, but a bit silly fast now - Something you’re familiar with in your Performance M3. Fortunately, I like silly. My 29 year old daughter, on the other hand, told me today to please stop with the rocket launches.

• Funny x 2
  9. PostalM3

PostalM3 Member

Today I launched my AWD without upgrade and it felt sluggish, I'm hoping it was just the cold battery and not them toning down the software to get us to upgrade.

10. jkoya

jkoya NA2 NSX

I've had the car since December 2018 and those rocket launches haven't gotten old yet.....

11. Horizonjob

Horizonjob Member

#11 Horizonjob, Dec 29, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
    @Postal M3 - Yikes, I would hope not. Interestingly, in July, Motor Trend clocked the LR AWD at 4.0 for 0-60, much faster than Tesla’s rep. I wonder what they’d get if they redid the test post-boost. Getting 3.8 with the boost would split the difference between the promised 4.4 and the Performance 3.2. Maybe that’s what Tesla had in mind, but if Motor Trend got a 10% acceleration boost from the upgrade on top of their faster time from July, they could conceivably clock a LR AWD with boost around 3.5!

• Like x 1
  12. Horizonjob

Horizonjob Member

Yeah. I love the nervous laughs I get....

• Funny x 1
  13. PostalM3

PostalM3 Member

BTW, I went to Horizon High school in Scottsdale, assuming your user name is associated with that?

AND, earlier today, picked up a used cell phone from craigslist here in Bend, OR from another unknown person who is also from Scottsdale as well and is familiar with Horizon...who coincidentally also bought a Tesla X just last week in Scottsdale!...small world eh?!

14. Horizonjob

Horizonjob Member

Actually, I sailboat race back East during the summer and “horizonjob” describes a successful move or series of successful moves where the competition sees you near them and then in short order you’re just a dot on the horizon, thereby pulling a horizon job on them. I am familiar with Horizon High, though I live near and my younger daughter went to Desert Mountain.

Seems that everyone I know in Scottsdale is either looking at, buying, or has bought a Tesla. On my short commute to work, I will count 6-10 easily, plus there are now about 10 in my company’s lot. The HOV lane is often called the Tesla lane.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  15. Knightshade

Knightshade Well-Known Member

Tesla dishonestly uses 2 different measurement standards for P vs non-P vehicles is why.

That 4.0 on the AWD was measured using the standard Teslas uses for the P.

Roughly 3.5 based on other AWD owners who've gotten the update and tested it.

16. mreynolds767

mreynolds767 Member

3.5 with this upgrade has already been reported in testing by users on this forum (dragy) results shared)

the upgrade is in between regular and performance as far as 0-60 speeds and also for HP and Torque
    You are paying $2k to get half way

4.0 reg AWD, 3.5 AWD +, 3.0 for the Performance
    All 3 times with rollout which is standard way to measure

importantly in another test shown on YouTube with the boost the AWD+ is basically a match to the performance from 30-100 ; which other than stop lights is more real life driving so makes me feel a little better about paying the $2k
    The performance gets off the line faster still

• Like x 1