Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you know what power a supercharger is capable of?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

invisik

Supporting Member
Mar 13, 2014
Minneapolis
Hi! Is there a list somewhere of the power ratings for each super charger? eg 90kw, 120kw, 135kw. I looked on supercharge.info and Telsa's supercharger list and neither seem to include that info.

Thanks for any pointers.

-m

They are upgrading chargers without notice so it's hard to maintain a list. For example Hawthorn was all upgraded from 90 to 120 and they added 2 more stalls recently.
As some tests showed, the real difference between 90 and 120 kW is very small and only a few minutes and only if you arrive with a pretty low battery. But most importantly, it's not like you have a choice anyways when driving long trips. You use the Supercharger that is on your route. Or are you trying to do some tests on different types?

On a somewhat related note, does anyone know how to determine how many kWhrs a Supercharger actually puts in to the car? I took my first Supercharger trip recently and was unable to follow my usual practice at public charging stations of recording the volts and amps along with start and stop times to calculate kWh. This is because the Supercharger seems to vary the volts and amps during the charge cycle. I noticed that the car and mobile app also do not give a projected time to complete a charge when on a Supercharger as well.

On a somewhat related note, does anyone know how to determine how many kWhrs a Supercharger actually puts in to the car? I took my first Supercharger trip recently and was unable to follow my usual practice at public charging stations of recording the volts and amps along with start and stop times to calculate kWh. This is because the Supercharger seems to vary the volts and amps during the charge cycle. I noticed that the car and mobile app also do not give a projected time to complete a charge when on a Supercharger as well.

If you set the car to display kW instead of MPH, then the car will display the accumulated kW-h during the charge. Interesting other details:
  • The kW displayed is the kW into the car, DC on a Supercharger, AC power on internal chargers.
  • The kW-h accumulated is the DC kW-h into the battery whether the charging is AC or Supercharger. When AC charging, this is about 90% of what came into the car.
  • The kW display is the instantaneous V*A/1000 coming into the car. When displaying MPH, it is the average over the charging session. During the taper on a Supercharger, this can be wildly optimistic at the end.

As others have said, the difference in charge time between 90, 120, and 135 kW is measured in minutes for the first car. Where there is a big difference is when you are the second car on a Supercharger Cabinet. Then, you only get what's left over, and (135 - Taper) is way better than (90 - Taper).

@mknox - If you use the Settings menu to change the charging units from distance to energy, the charging display shows both the instantaneous charging power (in kilowatts) and the total energy added (in kilowatt-hours).

Of course! I've always left the displays in Rated Miles which shows miles/hr and miles accumulated, so switching to Energy should show kW and kWhrs. Duh! I should have realized that. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

As others have said, the difference in charge time between 90, 120, and 135 kW is measured in minutes for the first car. Where there is a big difference is when you are the second car on a Supercharger Cabinet. Then, you only get what's left over, and (135 - Taper) is way better than (90 - Taper).

I have an A-pack and on my first Supercharger trip I found the charge rate to be crazy fast. At my first stop, I plugged in, spoke to a guy for a couple of minutes about the car then went to a restaurant and ordered lunch. Before my food came, I checked the mobile app and the car was already done! I felt pressured to eat faster :smile: