Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you know when brake fluid flush is needed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have 75,000 kms on my 2020 M3 and it has been suggested by an independent Tesla mechanic that it is a good idea to perform a brake fluid flush. The car is just under 3 years old and no issues with the brakes. Are folks doing this as a matter of preventative care? Is it something that should be done?
Thanks for your experience.

You can purchase some test strips or multimeter type device on Amazon or other stores.
They will test your fluid to see how broken down it is.
For example:

The manual says to check it every 2 years, no mileage listed

You can purchase some test strips or multimeter type device on Amazon or other stores.
They will test your fluid to see how broken down it is.
For example:

The manual says to check it every 2 years, no mileage listed

Thanks for the tip!

From Tesla's maintenance guide:

Brake Fluid Test
Tesla recommends testing your brake fluid for contamination every 2 years and replacing as needed.

Brake fluid is relatively cheap, compare to stuck / corroded calipers.

Moisture in brake fluid is the culprit and the testers read moisture level. As long as your in the safe (green) range your good to go.
When I tracked extensively I bled the brakes after every track weekend. In that case is was heat related and just needed to bleed the calipers enough to remove the burnt fluid until the fluid ran clear.
If a street car fails the moisture meter test you need to bleed the entire system Including the ABS module as the moisture is throughout the system.
Our ‘14 Ford Escape is on the original brake fluid after 120,000 km and 8 1/2 years. Still clean and dry. No need to service it.
Don‘t leave the brake fluid cap off to long. Just long enough to test as the fluid as it is exposed to relative humidity with the cap off.

Last edited:
Moisture in brake fluid is the culprit and the testers read moisture level. As long as your in the safe (green) range your good to go.
When I tracked extensively I bled the brakes after every track weekend. In that case is was heat related and just needed to bleed the calipers enough to remove the burnt fluid until the fluid ran clear.
If a street car fails the moisture meter test you need to bleed the entire system Including the ABS module as the moisture is throughout the system.
Our ‘14 Ford Escape is on the original brake fluid after 120,000 km and 8 1/2 years. Still clean and dry. No need to service it.
Don‘t leave the brake fluid cap off to long. Just long enough to test as the fluid as it is exposed to relative humidity with the cap off.
What kind of fluid do you use? I've watched this video many times but just picked up on the fact he was still using dot3. I thought he changed it out.

I'm years away from the Plaid purchase but a few things on the list is aftermarket brakes and 660 brake fluid.

What kind of fluid do you use? I've watched this video many times but just picked up on the fact he was still using dot3. I thought he changed it out.

I'm years away from the Plaid purchase but a few things on the list is aftermarket brakes and 660 brake fluid.

I’ve used Motul RBF 600 for years. It’s non-synthetic that’s exceeds DOT 3 and 4 specs by far. Never had a brake fluid related soft pedal issue with it and my track car all up was 4000 lbs. Great fluid. RBF 660 wasn’t available when I tracked but I would have used it instead of 600.

As you probably know when your changing out/bleeding the entire fluid quantity to a higher quality you need to have the ABS cycling. Requires a scan tool that allows that. If you don’t and just bleed you will be mixing the new fluid with the fluid trapped in the ABS module.
Again as you know with 4 piston dual bleed calipers bleed the inside first then the outside. Bleed order is the farthest caliper from the master cylinder first finishing with the nearest caliper to the master cylinder

Last edited:
Reactions: Darmie