Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you live with the wind/tire noise? Comparing to Model S.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

HumanInput

Plaid DELIVERED 8/4, Red/Cream+Wood/21"/FSD
May 12, 2021
Orange County, CA
I’ve rented a Model 3 and a Model S for some weekend trips and the noise difference between the two was immense! The MS was almost whisper quiet and enjoyable for a 8+ hour drive. The M3 was loud from the get go and an ever present intolerance.

Music obviously helps, but for those that own both, how do you deal with such a large noise difference?

My signature shows my solution, buy the Model S 😂 But, for a second car down the line, I was considering a M3 or MY for my partner, but can’t justify it with the noise.

What year 3?

the newer ones have double pane windows and more weather/wind stripping.
My 2021 P is pretty darn quiet... much quieter than my wife’s Lexus RX to be honest.
Either way the radio goes on when I get in, but I’m always surprised when people say the car isn’t quiet.
Especially if you came from a car with any performance, you have less sound at cruising speeds, albeit different sounds (tire noise over exhaust note)

Reactions: HumanInput
For me personally? Not an issue. The highways around here are low speed so wind does not become an issue.

The car seems to have high sensitivity to wind direction. Because sometimes at higher speeds, the wind noise is obvious, and other times not at all. It's less consistent than other cars Ive had.

If you need to insulate your car, it's probably the usual solution of adding dampening insulation on the floor, door, and possibly inspecting and improving the seals.

I have a model 3 2018. The road noise is extremely high and it's almost all coming from the tire/road interaction. When driving on the freeway if i go over good asphalt it is very quiet, as soon as i'm back on concrete, the noise goes up significantly which means the noise is being generated by the tire/road interaction. I think tesla could have done a much better job of insulating/sound dampening the car. I also have an Audi allroad and it is much quieter on the same roads.

its one thing I truly and passionately hate about my m3. the wind noise on the driver side door top area; and the road/tire noise on some roads (a section on 101 that I have to take frequently is deafeningly loud. even music wont cover it.

for those who have tinnitus, its even worse. adding MORE noise to a harsh environment does not really help.

I've never been in a model S but I can't justify the cost or the expense of its repairs. shame, really, but its just out of my price range (and there are other reasons I dont want an S or X).

every so often, I toy with the idea of trading up to a perf model 3 but the noise level wont change and I just can't buy another one of these.

I have a 2002 Passat and a 2019 Model 3. I always think the road noise is high in the 3 until I get back into the Passat...
I actually went from a 2003 passat to my m3. I drove that passat every day and I don't remember anywhere near the same level of noise. not saying the passat was luxury quiet but nothing jumped out at me as 'wow, this is a loud car'. that was the first thing I noticed when driving the 3 for the first time. damn, am I going to be able to tolerate this?

if I was in the car for more than 2 hours a day, I might have to reconsider. my commute is 1/2 hour or less so its not a deal breaker but a job that would have me in it all day? never. would never put up with that.

Reactions: polyphonic54
what I've heard is that the glass is not helping. its not about the glass. the noise is elsewhere.

if you have a true seal in your home, double and triple pane glass helps with a true air gap. but in a car? no. I think that's absurd. the noise is low freq and air gaps in glass stop high freq.

tesla needs to hire people to do nvh testing and do it RIGHT. they just have not taken it seriously, that's all.

Reactions: Jclboston
The Q2 2021 I got is WAY better than the 2020 one I had before when it comes to tire and wind noise, I would say it is on the same level as my 2018 Model S that I had before. The comfort is better as well, had to run 2.9 bars in the tires before and the new one was more comfortable and quiet even with 3.1 in them.

Not sure what they changed but I now don’t hate the noise every time I take the car out.

• Love
The Q2 2021 I got is WAY better than the 2020 one I had before when it comes to tire and wind noise, I would say it is on the same level as my 2018 Model S that I had before. The comfort is better as well, had to run 2.9 bars in the tires before and the new one was more comfortable and quiet even with 3.1 in them.

Not sure what they changed but I now don’t hate the noise every time I take the car out.
it still is hit and miss, on a per-build basis, it seems.

until they have a few straight quarters of problem-free builds, I will continue to think of this as an inconsistent build process.

the wind noise I have is not a showstopper and the panels fit well enough on my older 3, but in the last year and a half, the build quality has not gotton better, lets just say that. overall, if you look at how many are not 100%. and its not asking a lot to be at either 5 nines or a full 100% for NVH issues.

they need to attack this at two sides: the design, the parts and the build levels. (oops, that's 3 things. I'll fix that with an edit next time around, lol)

For the price the Model S better be whisper quiet. People forget the Model 3 is a $30k car with $20k battery/tech surcharge. That being said it’s about as noisy inside as my BMW X3 and much quieter than my previous F80 M3.
It is impressive for its price, just like the Model S. But, it’s not a $30k car, it’s easily a $50k car at the low end (and $40k+ even if you’re willing to skimp on range).

Reactions: Jejunjm
it still is hit and miss, on a per-build basis, it seems.

until they have a few straight quarters of problem-free builds, I will continue to think of this as an inconsistent build process.

With @Ofarlig being from Sweden, I wonder if he has a made in China M3. Those apparently have way better and more consistent build quality (ironically).