Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you LOCK the doors on the X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get that this is a stupid question, and one that I should not have to ask, BUT here goes:

Drive the X. Doors are locked. Great. Put the car in park. Doors (optionally) unlock. Great. Now you are sitting there and you want to LOCK the doors. How?? The manual says to press the lock icon on the display. We don't have that. We have headlights, charging, Homelink, User, Tesla Icon, Bluetooth, WiFi and time. There's NO lock option.
This should not be complicated.

Attachments

• dash.png
    dash.png
    367.4 KB · Views: 338
Don't all of the AP2 cars have the new software by now? Seems a lot of us have had it for nearly two weeks. I'm pretty new to all this yet, so not overly sure how long it takes to become fleetwide when Tesla rolls out an update?
My understanding is that the "new" features for AP2 are just TACC and Autosteer. The features related to rain sensor and automatic headlights are not available for AP2 cars yet. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

My understanding is that the "new" features for AP2 are just TACC and Autosteer. The features related to rain sensor and automatic headlights are not available for AP2 cars yet. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

I have a new AP2 car, and I do have automatic headlights. Thinking back, I believe they were activated to work as automatic two firmware releases ago. The one that put our cars in to "shadow mode". That release has been about 3 weeks ago. You are correct about the rain sensing wipers, they are not activated yet.

Yes, pushing the lock button on the key fob will lock the doors while inside the car.

When AP2 cars were first released, they didn't have automatic headlights. On the center screen, the lock icon was replaced by a headlight icon. I had the headlight icon for a little over a week until the firmware was updated to enable automatic headlights. At that time, the headlight icon was removed and the lock icon returned to the center screen. I'd be surprised that anyone was still on the firmware without automatic headlights since I got it over 6 weeks ago and have gotten at least 3-4 firmware updates since early December.

• Informative
Reactions: Nismode
This is classic case of UX designers getting overridden by rest of the team who believe their modules (in this case AP2) are more important.

Things like locks, rain sensors and headlights etc etc that did not change as far as I know with AP2 could have brought over the modules from AP1, made necessary changes for integration and avoided so many of poor UX complaints.

AP2 owners should write to servicehelpNA..this forum is a good sounding board but if some features are important to you, write to them and tell them to forward to AP2 development lead. Yes, of course you may get a stock response but the more number of times it is put in their face, the better support UX team will have to get you what you want earlier.

This is classic case of UX designers getting overridden by rest of the team who believe their modules (in this case AP2) are more important.

Things like locks, rain sensors and headlights etc etc that did not change as far as I know with AP2 could have brought over the modules from AP1, made necessary changes for integration and avoided so many of poor UX complaints.

AP2 owners should write to servicehelpNA..this forum is a good sounding board but if some features are important to you, write to them and tell them to forward to AP2 development lead. Yes, of course you may get a stock response but the more number of times it is put in their face, the better support UX team will have to get you what you want earlier.
I have no insider knowledge on AP2 development, but Tesla may have re-designed how many of these features work (rain sensors, auto headlights, etc.). They may have found a better, more robust solution and simply need time to write and vet the code.

So, instead of delaying delivery, they decided to ship an uncompleted product and use an OTA update to send the finalized code. Apple did exactly this with the iPhone for such basic features like cut 'n paste, MMS messaging, etc.

• Informative
Reactions: xkwizit
@vandacca - I hope you are right. However, that shouldn't have prevented from adapting the previous software modules for these functions to at least give the AP2 owners some basics. The EAP I understand is a big deal and whole lot different with all those sensors and so has to be built from ground up. But locking the car from the screen when you're sitting inside, that's a basic security feature. It's not like the time when they first started with Roadster or Model S or even Model X that they had to write code from scratch. Other than the extra sensors and hardware, I don't see any visible differences between my AP1 cars and the AP2 cars.

I wouldn't feel safe to leave my wife sitting in a parking lot if she wasn't able to lock the car from inside.

@vandacca - I hope you are right. However, that shouldn't have prevented from adapting the previous software modules for these functions to at least give the AP2 owners some basics. The EAP I understand is a big deal and whole lot different with all those sensors and so has to be built from ground up. But locking the car from the screen when you're sitting inside, that's a basic security feature. It's not like the time when they first started with Roadster or Model S or even Model X that they had to write code from scratch. Other than the extra sensors and hardware, I don't see any visible differences between my AP1 cars and the AP2 cars.

I wouldn't feel safe to leave my wife sitting in a parking lot if she wasn't able to lock the car from inside.
I agree that some of these features are very important to customers and are dearly missed. I don't think Tesla engineers understand how important some of these features are to their customers.

I suspect that they are just trying to be as efficient as possible and instead of writing some new, throw-away code that implements a basic AP1 feature, they feel that time might be better spent writing the final code for AP2.

BTW, you should be able to lock the vehicle with the fob, so while it can't be done from the touch-screen, there is a alternative solution available.

Those saying it can't be done from the touch screen, can't you still go to controls / doors and lock it from there? Just because the little icon in the corner is gone to do it quickly doesn't mean you can't do it at all.

Edit:
Ignore that. I see you can unlock from that screen but not lock. Kinda odd.

Last edited: