Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you manually release the doors of the Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1628787198993.png

Reactions: HeyEph
And for some ridiculous reason you need get out a screw driver to do it on the rear doors. Apparently on the new S is similar but it’s under the seat and you need to remove the carpet. The below I assume is still there but it’s been removed from the manual.

EDIT: Went and looked, it’s in my 151,xxx LR from 03/21. Hopefully my 6 year old has her multi tool on her....

1628796435296.jpeg

Last edited:
if there is no power to the window regulator when you do this the window will get stuck in the frame at the top. no 1 knows what happens next if you try to push the door open.
Oh I know what happens…
If you do it in warm weather that’s above 45° you will rip some of the rubber and or upper black trim off the window. And if it’s freezing, the car won’t roll the windows up entirely. They will stay down about 1/8 of an inch. I found that out on the hard side too! Needless to say I inform all my new passengers on how to open the doors! So twice burnt I won’t get burnt again!

Well that’s not good. There was a recent software update which does electrically pull down the windows incase someone manually releases the door so hopefully that issue is no longer. Unless the window Reg doesn’t get power which can be caused by a lot of trivial things (like the puddle lamp burning out)

And for some ridiculous reason you need get out a screw driver to do it on the rear doors. Apparently on the new S is similar but it’s under the seat and you need to remove the carpet. The below I assume is still there but it’s been removed from the manual.

EDIT: Went and looked, it’s in my 151,xxx LR from 03/21. Hopefully my 6 year old has her multi tool on her....

View attachment 695777
You could simply remove the plastic cover and put the rubber door mat back over it. Then it is always accessible in the event of an emergency. That’s what I did.

Reactions: Nolakai and NY_Rob
Well that’s not good. There was a recent software update which does electrically pull down the windows incase someone manually releases the door so hopefully that issue is no longer. Unless the window Reg doesn’t get power which can be caused by a lot of trivial things (like the puddle lamp burning out)
Now that's new to me... Have you tried it yet?

"Manual door release are designed to be used only in situations when Model Y has no power"

Call me a grammar nerd, but I'd have said "where" not "when"

but . . .

what happens if you use it anyway?

Do they really mean "Look it works, but don't use it all the time or you'll hose something up" or perhaps a sterner "Once you use this you'll have to disassemble the door to reset some manual linkage"?

I suspect they mean the former, but the reason I ask is that I'd like to try it once at least just to know what happens. Seems sensible right - especially as it's technically a safety feature and it'd be nice to have the first operation at home in a warm garage instead of a windswept, snow covered minor road in Winter in North Dakota! A bit like flying a complex aircraft and practicing the manual gear extension when you don't really need to.

Maybe I'll just schedule a test drive 😈

Reactions: Missile Toad
"Manual door release are designed to be used only in situations when Model Y has no power"

Call me a grammar nerd, but I'd have said "where" not "when"

but . . .

what happens if you use it anyway?

Do they really mean "Look it works, but don't use it all the time or you'll hose something up" or perhaps a sterner "Once you use this you'll have to disassemble the door to reset some manual linkage"?

I suspect they mean the former, but the reason I ask is that I'd like to try it once at least just to know what happens. Seems sensible right - especially as it's technically a safety feature and it'd be nice to have the first operation at home in a warm garage instead of a windswept, snow covered minor road in Winter in North Dakota! A bit like flying a complex aircraft and practicing the manual gear extension when you don't really need to.

I will be anxiously awaiting your results. Don't want to really try it on mine sitting in the driveway.

I'm sure that it works just like 'Armor Glass'. During testing, backstage, it will open flawlessly. However, as soon as you turn on the camera, to do a YouTube video, the door will just fall off, and roll on the grass.
My advise to you. Bring duct tape.