Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you open glove box after an accident?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bored and finding new problems before they happen, I was placing papers in my M3 glovebox and it got me thinking.

If I keep my registration/insurance in the glovebox of my M3, how do I open the glove box if an accident made the car inoperable? For example, M3 loses power or center screen is broken.

I guess you could muscle it open with a crowbar or hard yank.

Opinions? Should Tesla pop it open automatically if it detects an accident? Would that make it more dangerous if still in motion? Do I really care for papers if the accident is bad enough?

In TX your registration is a sticker on the windshield, so this is not something you have to show when in an accident. My insurance cards are also available on my phone if I can't get to the paper copies in the car. My DL is in my wallet, as I'm sure it is for most drivers. I guess if you don't have an electronic form of registration or insurance you could always take a picture of them so that you have them on your phone.

But in regards to this topic I do think Tesla should have made a manual release for the GB somewhere within the car, similar to the front doors, in case power is lost and you need something inside it. It would also be nice to have a button in the app, just in case the screen is damaged so that you have a secondary option to open it.

• Informative
Reactions: Andy7 and RScottyL
Actually as far as I can tell they never put it in the manual. (I couldn't find it.)
You're right, I checked the current manual and it does not say anything about it.
So I did some more searching. In Feb 2018 Elon tweeted that he would add this feature. Couldn't find the firmware version that added it, but a July 2018 copy of Tesla's Model 3 Theory of Operation says "If a crash is detected, the glove box latch will release after a short duration."

Don't forget - you can always show a digital copy of your insurance card!

I was joking about the crowbar but Tesla customer service can open it remotely. Of course you have to know things like the last five of the vin and the exact mileage of the car and the name you programed into the car and the registered phone number.....etc.....but they will do it.