TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How do you open the door when the solenoid fails?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Thomas Edison, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Thomas Edison

Thomas Edison Member

I'm wondering how one would open their door to repair it if the solenoid was to fail. If there's no mechanical linkage connection this seems quite problematic. Unless they had a manual release hidden somewhere in the door.

I had this happen to my car in the trunk and I had to crawl through the back seat and remover the liner and release it manually. Removing a door panel on a closed door isn't really possible on all of the cars I've seen based on fitment in the cabin.

2. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

They will usually make one or two doors be physical wire based and for the rest there will be a cable you can pull somewhere as a manual release.

Audi, Cadillac, and others have been using pure electrical rear doors on their sedans for a long time now.

• Informative x 2
  3. Haxster

Haxster Member

The front doors have a traditional mechanical release that engages when the handle is pulled past the solenoid switch. With the door open, you can "feel" the mechanism moving inside the door as you pull it all the way.

The rear doors can be released by cable pulls under a flap in the carpet just in front of the seat bottoms.

For comparison, pulling the handle on the rear doors feels much different than the front. They are just a spring hinge activating a switch.

BTW @Thomas Edison, I hope that you're not too upset that so many people are abandoning the incandescent light bulbs that you spent so much effort to develop.

4. Thomas Edison

Thomas Edison Member

At first I was quite heartbroken. But if it helps to reduce our dependency on fossil fuels then I'm all for it! I mean it could be a lot worse, at least we haven't abandoned the phonograph.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  5. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

Also, it's very big of you to buy a car named after your nemesis!

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  6. Thomas Edison

Thomas Edison Member

I would say protégé, but then we're just splitting hairs.

7. Haxster

Haxster Member

Good point...
    Reel to Reel: gone
    4 Track: gone
    8 Track: gone
    Cassette: gone
    CD: almost gone

8. McRat

McRat Active Member

Edison still has his place. Cooking time for brownies using a LED bulb is 47 hours.

Kenner-Easy-Bake-Ovens.jpg

• Funny x 4
    • Love x 1
  9. azred

azred Member

Considering you could bake them on my Phoenix driveway in about five minutes during July and August, that's not too impressive.

• Funny x 2
  10. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

Actually Edison didn't invent the light bulb. He just bought the patent from a couple of Canadians and commercialized it.

• Helpful x 1
  11. igotzzoom

igotzzoom Supporting Member

Out of curiosity, if the battery is completely dead, is there a way to open the door from the outside?

12. 355rockit

355rockit Member

Hopefully it will be like my Jag F-Type R. If you pull the handle up there is a special hidden key-hole and an emergency key fitting inside the case of remote. In case of battery power fail, one would use the emergency key to gain entry to pop the hood to charge the battery from the remote battery terminals since battery is in the trunk (which is inaccessible when battery is dead). Hopefully Tesla will have something similar (to access the charge port).

13. M0DEL³

M0DEL³ Dilluting Kool-Aid with Realism daily.

Take heart Mr. Edison, there's always a Silver lining: Elon DID NOT name the company Tesla, that was done by it's original founders. (Martin Eberhard and Marc Tarpenning) Elon is actually a bigger fan of your accomplishments than he is of Tesla's:

Elon Musk Quote: "But on balance, I'm a bigger fan of Edison than Tesla because Edison brought his stuff to market and made those inventions accessible to the world, whereas Tesla didn't really do that."