Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you open the glovebox without power?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking for advice on how to open the glovebox of a 2017 Model X without power being applied to the car.

While in stop/go traffic my X was rear ended by a semi going easily 50mph+. My car slammed into another semi - likely a total loss incident, pending inspection. I went to the junkyard to clean out the car but the one place I was unable to access is the glovebox. My thought was to rip it open with a crow bar but the junkyard would not allow me to cause further damage.

I saw someone post a youtube video of a trigger you can press when you remove the front dash panel but that was for a Model 3. Any thoughts would be appreciated - I have valuable belongings in there.

I'm so sorry man. I lost my first X to a deer into the windshield (my spouse & kid retrieved some things but I wasn't there/able).

I looked for a way to open the glovebox just now but haven't found it yet.

Did a call to roadside assistance not get you anywhere? Or to a service center (if they answer).

Some have pointed out a glovebox taken out of a vehicle to see where the solenoid is located (ie. to hot wire it).

Glovebox outside car 2017 X:

Glove box remove and replace:

06:00 shows taking it out -- maybe they let you disassemble (clips if you put it back)
11:16 shows inside with it removed (2015 Tesla Model S 85D):

Attachments

• Glove Box (Remove and Replace).pdf
    386.4 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Reactions: sacfan
I'm so sorry man. I lost my first X to a deer into the windshield (my spouse & kid retrieved some things but I wasn't there/able).

I looked for a way to open the glovebox just now but haven't found it yet.

Did a call to roadside assistance not get you anywhere? Or to a service center (if they answer).

Some have pointed out a glovebox taken out of a vehicle to see where the solenoid is located (ie. to hot wire it).

Glovebox outside car 2017 X:

Glove box remove and replace:

06:00 shows taking it out -- maybe they let you disassemble (clips if you put it back)
11:16 shows inside with it removed (2015 Tesla Model S 85D):
That might help! I will contact roadside assistance next and see what they say.
just apply external 12v briefly? How did you even open car doors without it anyway? Reportedly model X has power-assisted front doors that are really hard to operate without power
I wouldn't even know where to begin on applying power to it again. When the car got pinned all the doors crunched. The fire department needed to rip the passenger side door off.

Attachments

• PXL_20210702_134152593.jpg
    PXL_20210702_134152593.jpg
    421.6 KB · Views: 490
  • Screenshot_20210701-151016.png
    Screenshot_20210701-151016.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 162
  • Snapchat-150386437.jpg
    Snapchat-150386437.jpg
    445.2 KB · Views: 152
  • PXL_20210702_133930853.jpg
    PXL_20210702_133930853.jpg
    520.4 KB · Views: 201
  • Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
That might help! I will contact roadside assistance next and see what they say.

I wouldn't even know where to begin on applying power to it again. When the car got pinned all the doors crunched. The fire department needed to rip the passenger side door off.
“The junkyard would not allow me to cause further damage”.

That’s absolutely absurd given the current condition of the vehicle in the photos.

Get the OK of the insurance adjuster? Get a court order? Check with the police?

I assure you that someone will access and remove your valuables. That someone should be you! I’d go back and pry it open without asking before someone beats you to it.

First - glad you and your passenger(s) were safe. Second, I am like 99.999% sure that car is totaled - no question about it so I can't understand why the junkyard would be giving you a hard time about further damage. Finally, if the fire department had to cut the door off, it's very possible that they cut/removed the fireman's loop in the frunk area which would prevent any power from going to the car.

Pop the hood, pull the plastic cover off that is up near the windshield wipers and look for the fuse box on the right side. Pull the cover off, and in the middle front there is an unlableed bolt (it has a black plus sign in front of it, hard to see). Apply the positive lead to that bolt, and ground the other cable on the car somewhere and wait a few minutes. The car will wake up and you can get into your glove box.

Pop the hood, pull the plastic cover off that is up near the windshield wipers and look for the fuse box on the right side. Pull the cover off, and in the middle front there is an unlableed bolt (it has a black plus sign in front of it, hard to see). Apply the positive lead to that bolt, and ground the other cable on the car somewhere and wait a few minutes. The car will wake up and you can get into your glove box.
This! This was the answer!

Surprisingly the glove box opened without the need for a pin on the center screen. I am just glad I got my belongings! Thank you mbp11.