Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Do You Open Your Door?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What’s your technique for opening the car door. I find the door handles super annoying, so maybe I just haven’t found the right technique. (And my passengers hate them.)

It is easy if I do it two-handed. But if I have to do it one-handed, it is not awesome. I have settled on the approach of just pushing the wide part to crack the door and then pull it open from the trim at the waistline of the door. This works most of the time if the latch doesn’t re-catch.

I seem to randomly use one or two hands to open the door. When using one hand, it's almost always my right hand, and on the driver side I push the back part with my index finger and grab the other end with my thumb and the other fingers. If I'm opening the door on the passenger side one-handed, I push the back part with my thumb, then grab the other end with the other fingers.

I do agree that opening the 3/Y isn't the most intuitive thing in the world, but I've gotten pretty used to it.

Never considered this a problem... only time I have ever had to use two hands is if I am carrying things in both hands making it so I can't use one of them to open the door. I figured you were going to ask about from inside the car... in that case I am an "index finger on button and elbow bump to open" kind of guy :)

Keith

Never considered this a problem... only time I have ever had to use two hands is if I am carrying things in both hands making it so I can't use one of them to open the door. I figured you were going to ask about from inside the car... in that case I am an "index finger on button and elbow bump to open" kind of guy :)

Keith
Never had an issue though first time passengers can get tripped up. I recently discovered using the open door button in the app is useful as it Opens the door. Realize this was designed in case the door handle was frozen with ice but it does work rather well if you have hand or dexterity issues.

Never had an issue though first time passengers can get tripped up. I recently discovered using the open door button in the app is useful as it Opens the door. Realize this was designed in case the door handle was frozen with ice but it does work rather well if you have hand or dexterity issues.

And if you like doing upgrades / modifications to your car you could get the Hansshow door poppers that make the doors act like Model X doors. Not sure if any other manufacturer out there makes them, but if so I would go with a different brand than Hansshow due to customer service issues.

Keith

What’s your technique for opening the car door. I find the door handles super annoying, so maybe I just haven’t found the right technique. (And my passengers hate them.)

It is easy if I do it two-handed. But if I have to do it one-handed, it is not awesome. I have settled on the approach of just pushing the wide part to crack the door and then pull it open from the trim at the waistline of the door. This works most of the time if the latch doesn’t re-catch.
Same way I did these doors. Thum pushes in and rest of my hand grabs the handle.

BAF90315-890E-401B-8E48-7C9A4410E1B4.jpeg

I'm not sure when it started happening for me, but lately I've found that I've been just pushing the handle with my thumb to pop the door open, and then grabbing the edge of the door with my hand. It's not exactly faster, but it's what has been working well for me. I think it lets me open the door all the way without twisting my wrist awkwardly.