TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How do you open your Model 3 doors?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by MXWing, Sep 4, 2018.

1. MXWing

MXWing Well-Known Member

Wondering if anyone does anything different as there is probably no variance or creativity possible on the S or X.

I push in with thumb, grasp the exposed leg with index, middle, ring finger and throw the door to desired opening width.

Other ways I can see opening the door is to either drag the leg to desired opening width or drag width enough to push door open from the inside.

The last method probably reduces wear and tear the most on the handles I would imagine.

2. boriszima

boriszima Member

I use first. I noticed on the passenger side the door handle is starting to protrude a little bit and thats only after a handful of opening of the front passenger. we shall see...

• Like x 1
  3. TT97

TT97 Active Member

I either open it the recommended way out sometimes I use just one finger. Once you push the lever and the door is open, it's pretty easy to pull. I find a demonstration on YouTube:

I tend to use the index finger so not to give my 3 the bird.

• Like x 2
  4. MXWing

MXWing Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing.. but man you will look awkward AF the one time your one finger gets stuck in the door. :D

You know who I want to see open a Model 3 door and will probably be pretty stylish doing so..?

SALT BAE!

Warning: Do not click if you are a Vegan. You will be triggered.

• Like x 1
  5. ddm3

ddm3 Member

Say you have stuff in your left and can't transfer it easily to the right. How do people open the driver's side door with their right hand?

• Like x 1
  6. MXWing

MXWing Well-Known Member

Supinate your right hand so your thumb points to the right. Push in with thumb and pull out with remaining fingers.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  7. anticitizen13.7

anticitizen13.7 Not posting at TMC after 9/17/2018

I think the same with left hand should work on passenger side too.

8. Snow Drift

Snow Drift Slip Start: [Activated]

Just like how Tesla shows us to do it. Push with thumb, wrap fingers from the top and pull the handle.

**FYI** I do wish the handle's hinge was on the left, like ICE cars, so the handle would move in the same direction as the door swings.

• Like x 1
  9. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

That method might sound better, but try miming it with your car. You’d end up cranking your hand to wierd angles to open the door.

• Like x 1
  10. johnm

johnm Member

What a strange topic. I don't think I have ever pulled on the handle. I push the handle. The door pops open. I pull the door right behind the window.

11. Snow Drift

Snow Drift Slip Start: [Activated]

But you shouldn't touch the glass. That is why we have door handles.

• Like x 1
  12. hamtonp

hamtonp Member

I do the same but I grab the area of chrome that has no window (2-3 inches long) and open. I don't really touch the chrome; just right behind it.

13. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

I use the thumb and fingers method.

But other People just jab it. The stare at the door and jab it again repeating the jabbing a few more times wearing out my door latch till I yell at them to say it’s open. Just pull the door open!

14. HelloJohnny

HelloJohnny Member

I also use the traditional thumb and fingers method as the official Tesla video has shown.

15. Shizzrock

Shizzrock Member

I don't understand how people are doing it any other way

16. HelloJohnny

HelloJohnny Member

I thought the same as well Lol o_O

• Like x 1