Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you pass time at the charging stations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you guys really spend time in the car while charging on road trips? Most of the time I stop longer than the car needs when we are on the road. Drive a couple of hours and stop to get something to drink and use the restroom, drive a couple more and eat and so on.

I'll run into either a 50 minute supercharge per week, or two 20 minute ones. In the past, when restaurants were open, it would be to go and grab a bite to eat.

Now it's take a 20 minute nap, going for the shorter chargers (until kW/h drops to 60-70) but more frequently.

Charging activities have changed a lot for me over the last few years on our 2013 S85. In the old days when I had faster Supercharging sessions, I would go from 10%-83% SOC in about 50 minutes. I would typically stop charging when the rate hit 30kW/h and I could make it to my next SuC. In this time I would find something to eat, nap, catch up on emails/text messages, use the restroom, shop, and/or walk around and "site" see.

Now with a pandemic, significantly longer SuC sessions when going >50% SOC, and a doubling of SuC sites/quadrupling of available stalls in my region, I find myself spending 20-45 minutes to charge the car leaving me far less time to kill. Instead of doing 2-4 for the activities that I use to do, I'm now just doing one or two of those things now. It's a lovely thing to be able to skip 2-3 SuC sites when you know you can make to the 4th. I remember early on when we had to change up to 90% SOC just to make it the next one.

Reactions: Rshephorse
So, if I am taking a nap in the car while charging, is there something in the car that can be set up to wake me when charging is done? I think there is one 'airline boing' chime, but it would be cool if you could have the music come back on or something like that.... Elon?

So, if I am taking a nap in the car while charging, is there something in the car that can be set up to wake me when charging is done? I think there is one 'airline boing' chime, but it would be cool if you could have the music come back on or something like that.... Elon?
You could set an alarm on your phone for the charging completion estimate.