Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you pass time at the charging stations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Upon owning my first Tesla for about a week now, I have found the supercharger network to be one of my favorite aspects of the experience!

Although it takes substantially longer to do road trips, for some reason it feels like less! I assume this is due to the cleanliness and great ambience of the network stations :)

I am curious though for those who charge longer periods what you do to pass time?

I personally bring a book, deck of cards, and a skateboard for remote areas and then usually grab food if there is a restaurant nearby. It’s awesome to explore new supercharger communities too!

To be honest my experience has really only been once in my initial drive from San Francisco’s to Los Angeles, but I’m heading up to mammoth lakes this weekend and will get to see two new supercharger stations! I hear one has a skatepark too :)

So TMC, what’s your pass time when charging at superchargers?

I'll do a bathroom break, grab a bag of chips, and by the time I return I'm already 15 minutes into my charging session. I keep cleaning supplies for the windows and interior in the frunk, so I clean the windshield and interior. Check email, respond to email, and then go on my way.
This is my routine. Also, dog needs to discharge while car charges.

I download things to my kindle I want to watch or read but normally can't find the time to (netflix, amazon, etc). And there are plenty of other ideas, like just getting of your duff and walking.

Glad to see someone getting at the positive side of charging "downtime"...that it's not downtime unless that's what you choose to make it.

• Love
Reactions: GSP
Upon owning my first Tesla for about a week now, I have found the supercharger network to be one of my favorite aspects of the experience!

Although it takes substantially longer to do road trips, for some reason it feels like less! I assume this is due to the cleanliness and great ambience of the network stations :)

I am curious though for those who charge longer periods what you do to pass time?

I personally bring a book, deck of cards, and a skateboard for remote areas and then usually grab food if there is a restaurant nearby. It’s awesome to explore new supercharger communities too!

To be honest my experience has really only been once in my initial drive from San Francisco’s to Los Angeles, but I’m heading up to mammoth lakes this weekend and will get to see two new supercharger stations! I hear one has a skatepark too :)

So TMC, what’s your pass time when charging at superchargers?

• Funny
Reactions: luckyj
Some of the ways I pass the time at superchargers:
Walk the dog.
Eat a meal.
Bathroom break.
Talk to other Tesla owners,
Take a walk to stretch my legs and back.
The nice thing is that you can do these things while your Tesla is charging. Gas station fill ups can take less time, but you have to stay in the car, either in line or at the pump the whole time. Then you have to PAY.

On our cross-country trips we drive for an hour or so, then charge 10 to 15 minutes. We find a restroom, walk around a little, eat a little if needed, then ready to leave for the next station.

Prior to our Tesla we would take a couple of one to two week trips each summer, renting a car rather than taking our own. We had enough range to drive for 6 or more hours, but would still drive for an hour, then stop for 10 to 15 minutes.

As you can see, we still spend about the same time on the road as we did prior to Tesla. However, we have stayed longer at a Supercharger just talking to other Tesla owners, or even other ICE drivers interested in EV's.

We plan for a 10% to 20% reserve, then only charge what we need to get to the next Supercharger. No need to spend extra time waiting for a full charge.