Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you play USB music from the USB-C jacks in center console?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

R2 EV

Jun 22, 2021
Our brand new Model 3 no longer has any USB-A in center console, the only USB-A is in the glove box with a factory provided USB memory stick, I assume for the cameras. It has two USB-C jacks in the center console but plugging my USB memory stick with music does not show up as a media source on the screen. Is it still possible to use a USB memory stick to play your own music? The manual has not been update.

Figured out thanks to YouTube that the USB-A port in the glove box, which has the factory Tesla dash cam memory stick, is apparently the only data port and this now plays my USB memory stick music. Apparently the 4 USB-C ports (two in console, two on back HVAC vent) are power only. There is an aftermarket USB hub that allows you to connect the Tesla dash cam memory stick + your music memory stick(s). Hopes this helps someone. Tesla needs to update the manual to mention this. Note our car is only 5 days old.

• Disagree
Reactions: Gasaraki
I was going to mess with partitioning the Tesla USB-A camera USB stick, but it wasn't worth it, since I'd only leave like 10 gigs for the camera, and I only need 10 gigs for music, and the rest for the camera, but it doesn't work like that. So left alone the Tesla USB, which is working fine, and bought a USB-A to USB-C adapter, and my music showed up over the music menu, like stated above. Since the stick was sticking into the console too much, just bought a small USB-C stick for my music, and it also works perfectly, while sticking out way less. So that was my solution :). Oh, and either of the 2 front console USB-C ports works with music. The 2 rear ones are just for charging. Hope this helps.

Figured out thanks to YouTube that the USB-A port in the glove box, which has the factory Tesla dash cam memory stick, is apparently the only data port and this now plays my USB memory stick music.
This shouldn't be the case. You just need an adapter. There should be 3 data ports. If the ones in your front console aren't working, make an appointment for service to get your ports fixed.

Reactions: LionXng