TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

How do you remove the chrome strip under the front "T" on a MS refresh?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Haxster, Dec 27, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Haxster

Haxster Member

For the Model S refresh, has anyone seen instructions or a video on how to remove the chrome strip on the front bumper cover just below the "T"?

I pulled off the front trunk panel, found a couple of bolts and screws to remove, but didn't see any obvious way to proceed without risking damage. It's not clear if the chrome strip pops off like so many other trim parts or not.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

2. playoutside

playoutside Member

I'm not sure. But I can tell you that plasti-dip comes in many colors and worked great on the chrome on my '13 nose cone. You could also use vinyl wrap.

3. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

I recommend that you PM artsci on this forum. He's the creator of the Lighted T and Lighted Rear Applique. I think he's working on the Lighted T for the refreshed S, so he might have already done it.

But if you don't mind a guess, its probably installed with automotive double sided tape. You can get the tape on Amazon and a some auto parts stores. You can remove trim that's held on with double sided tape using fishing line and using it like a saw between the body and back side of the trim. Hope this is useful to you.

4. headcase

headcase Member

Like others here, I had the chrome on my entire Model S wrapped in black vinyl, with the exception of the T logos. Looks much meaner now!

5. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Thanks for the reference. According to the parts diagram I have, that strip appears to be attached with several clips and bolts. But the diagram is a bit fuzzy so I can't be certain.

I also have all of the facelift parts and fascia on order. Tesla says that pre-facelift cars can't be upgraded with the facelift fascia, which some us take as a challenge to prove that it can be done.

I'm hopeful that we'll be successful. I have the complete parts list for the job and a facelift fascia on order from an eBay seller. When it's all delivered we'll try to install it on my car.

If it works it will save people who want to do this upgrade a lot of money, as the Tesla parts for the job cost far less than all of the aftermarket solutions that appear to be coming. And with the apparent demise of Karstyle, those numbers are dwindling.

6. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

Click on artsci's signature (in red). If you've not seen his designed Lighted Rear Applique, you are truly missing something. Its amazing.
    Look at the videos of it in action. Great aftermarket product. Wow !!