Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you replace Model X wiper blades?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From what I have been able to research, Bosch does not make wiper blades for Model X, nor have I been able to find anyone else who does.
When I picked up my MX from the Service Center yesterday, one of techs showed me how to change the blades. He said that when Tesla supplies run low, they purchase blades at the local Auto Zone. I didn't ask him which brand, but someone out there is making replacement blades for the MX.

So, I went to replace my blades (got the wiper service mode to work thanks to Mjolner) But, I don't know why the SC told me I could use Bosch Icon wiper blades because it is obvious that the MX uses a specialty blade that allows the washer fluid to flow through the little holes in the blade (100 holes in each blade). So that begs the question, how do I find these blades if the SC does not know about them. I called Tesla tech support today and they said, "they have little holes in them?, are you sure?" Ugh. :confused: Given the complexity of the blade, it seems like it would be more efficient to just replace the refill (squeegee), but both people I talked to at Tesla seem clueless about how to do that. Oh, and one more thing, I have the cold weather package, so they are heated blades as well!

Video of MX wiper blades with little holes.

So, I went to replace my blades (got the wiper service mode to work thanks to Mjolner) But, I don't know why the SC told me I could use Bosch Icon wiper blades because it is obvious that the MX uses a specialty blade that allows the washer fluid to flow through the little holes in the blade (100 holes in each blade). So that begs the question, how do I find these blades if the SC does not know about them. I called Tesla tech support today and they said, "they have little holes in them?, are you sure?" Ugh. :confused: Given the complexity of the blade, it seems like it would be more efficient to just replace the refill (squeegee), but both people I talked to at Tesla seem clueless about how to do that. Oh, and one more thing, I have the cold weather package, so they are heated blades as well!

Video of MX wiper blades with little holes.
Your blades seem to work fine. Are you just getting some backups?

The cold weather package doesn't heat the blades, just the windshield in the area where the blades park so they don't freeze to the windshield while the car is parked.

Wait, the heating element is in the windshield? Does that mean when they replace my windshield for ghosting issues, I have to make sure the windshield has the heating elements in it?

• Disagree
Reactions: spectrum
Wait, the heating element is in the windshield
According to the technician at my SC, there is no heating element in the windshield nor in the wiper blades. When wiper defrost is on, windshield defrost hot air is focused at the lower section where the wipers are in the parked position.
As for the Bosch blades, they may exist for the MX, but not according to the Bosch website. Their website shows replacement blades for the MS, but not the MX.

• Disagree
Reactions: spectrum
Does anyone know if the Bosch wipers work or not? It started raining here in socal and my wipers are useless and the streaks are so bad on the return I can't see anything in front of me.

I received a message from the Rocklin Service Center and they said, "we do have the perforated wiper blades in stock, please make and appointment to have them installed". Yikes, I have to make an appointment at a SC 2 hours away to change wiper blades?! :eek:

According to the technician at my SC, there is no heating element in the windshield nor in the wiper blades. When wiper defrost is on, windshield defrost hot air is focused at the lower section where the wipers are in the parked position.
As for the Bosch blades, they may exist for the MX, but not according to the Bosch website. Their website shows replacement blades for the MS, but not the MX.
Tesla needs to get their act together re: technician training. When I complained about ice remaining on my wipers with the wiper heating function on, I was told that that is normal because the heating elements in the base of the windshield only de-ice the the blades in the parked position.

There's a better thermal image than mine, but here's the one I took of the heating elements in the windshield for the cold weather package. You can see the dark wiper on the left of the picture, and the heating element is large in comparison. It pretty much fills the black area at the bottom of the windshield.

Attachments

• img_thermal_1474170215281.jpg
    img_thermal_1474170215281.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 592