Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you replace Model X wiper blades?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried magic eraser tonight. I scrubbed the hell out of it and it didn't make a difference.

I am going to try baking soda [<-- update: didn't work]. After that I might just have to get some clay bar.

On a side note, is this even related to the ghosting?

Last edited:
A magic eraser won't do anything to glass. Glass is pretty high on the mohs hardness scale.

If you want to remove the contamination from glass you need to get aggressive. If you want to do it yourself get a glass compound pad and some glass compound material. I've maintained my glass myself using a dual action polisher with this setup though I'm sure you can do it by hand. It'll be much more involved and wear your arm out, but you can do it.

Or take it to a detail shop and ask them to compound and polish your windshield.

No wipes are going to remove it, no sprays. You need an abrasive hard enough to remove the contaminates and a thin layer of glass.

A magic eraser won't do anything to glass. Glass is pretty high on the mohs hardness scale.

If you want to remove the contamination from glass you need to get aggressive. If you want to do it yourself get a glass compound pad and some glass compound material. I've maintained my glass myself using a dual action polisher with this setup though I'm sure you can do it by hand. It'll be much more involved and wear your arm out, but you can do it.

Or take it to a detail shop and ask them to compound and polish your windshield.

No wipes are going to remove it, no sprays. You need an abrasive hard enough to remove the contaminates and a thin layer of glass.

How about a clay bar?

If one looks up “super cleaning windshields” on YouTube, people use 0000 steel wool to clean/polish the glass. I’ve used this to get weird crud off my driver side window that won’t come off with window cleaner.

I was having some issues with my wipers, thought they were worn out but upon inspection I discovered they were improperly mounted. The blade cover is supposed to be mounted on four pins on the edges of the mounting structure and only two of them were properly inserted. Removing and reinserting them (this required disassembling reach blade completely as the fitment is too tight otherwise) solved the problem. I don't know of this happened during manufacture or early during use, but they never ran as smoothly as they do today.

• Informative
Reactions: madodel
I was having some issues with my wipers, thought they were worn out but upon inspection I discovered they were improperly mounted. The blade cover is supposed to be mounted on four pins on the edges of the mounting structure and only two of them were properly inserted. Removing and reinserting them (this required disassembling reach blade completely as the fitment is too tight otherwise) solved the problem. I don't know of this happened during manufacture or early during use, but they never ran as smoothly as they do today.

Hard to visualize what you mean by this but I'll take a look tonight. Currently mine are just awful and noisy.

My right blade seems to be skipping on the windshield, making them noisy. How do I fix this?

See my entry above, and if the wiper keeps skipping afterward, replace your wipers.

I just replaced mine to cure skipping in the driver side.

How to change a Tesla wiper blade:

1) Put the wipers in Maintenance Mode.

2) Disconnect the fluid line to the wiper. There is a plastic tubing interconnect in the wiper arm clip closest to the wiper. Gently pry it out and pull off the line to the wiper. I found I had to push the tubing off rather than pulling.

3) Pinch the two plastic groved elements on the sides of the wiper arm and about 1.5” back from the tip of the wiper arm. They pinch fairly easily.

3) While holding the wiper arm away from the window, pivot the wiper blade assembly down. Unhook the wiper blade assembly from the tip of the wiper arm.

Installation is the reverse process.

See my entry above, and if the wiper keeps skipping afterward, replace your wipers.

I just replaced mine to cure skipping in the driver side.

How to change a Tesla wiper blade:

1) Put the wipers in Maintenance Mode.

2) Disconnect the fluid line to the wiper. There is a plastic tubing interconnect in the wiper arm clip closest to the wiper. Gently pry it out and pull off the line to the wiper. I found I had to push the tubing off rather than pulling.

3) Pinch the two plastic groved elements on the sides of the wiper arm and about 1.5” back from the tip of the wiper arm. They pinch fairly easily.

3) While holding the wiper arm away from the window, pivot the wiper blade assembly down. Unhook the wiper blade assembly from the tip of the wiper arm.

Installation is the reverse process.
Could you please post a video of the operation?

According to the technician at my SC, there is no heating element in the windshield nor in the wiper blades. When wiper defrost is on, windshield defrost hot air is focused at the lower section where the wipers are in the parked position.

That's how my windshield cracked. First time I used the remote car heat mode when i cam out it looked like there were rivulets of water on the windshield. Driving didn't move them and I realized I had three cracks starting at the bottom and running up about two feet. After a bit of a "discussion", Tesla goodwilled the replacement.

As for the Bosch blades, they may exist for the MX, but not according to the Bosch website. Their website shows replacement blades for the MS, but not the MX.

At Costco they had Michelin blades on sale. The size card had an asterisk beside the short length number for the model X. Once I found the footnote it said to call the 800 number. They said there were additional parts they would mail me. I assume it has to do with the attachment point. I didn't know about the blades being part of the washers. Now I'm wondering.