Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you rotate tires on tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Serious question.

Based on the fact there is little to no maintenance, I don't expect to be going to change oil and rotate tires at the dealer or a shop. So what now? How does a person ensure proper tire maintenance on tesla and specifically m3?

My plan is to rotate the tires myself, I'll be ordering one of these: Vendor - Model 3 jack pad adapter tire service tool

Already have a low profile floor jack. I'll be rotating my Bolt's rotation tires next weekend, as it's broke 7000mi and it's the same deal on maintenance.**

** Actually more-so is my understanding, because M3 calls for a transaxle lube job far earlier than the Bolt as the M3 has that oil circulation thing for extended life.

My plan is to rotate the tires myself, I'll be ordering one of these: Vendor - Model 3 jack pad adapter tire service tool

Already have a floor jack. I'll be rotating my Bolt's rotation tires next weekend, as it's broke 7000mi and it's the same deal on maintenance.**

** Actually more-so is my understanding, because M3 calls for a transaxle lube job far earlier than the Bolt as the M3 has that oil circulation thing for extended life.

I use a hockey puck on my jack as a "pad adapter" for the Model S. Not sure of the 3 setup.

For rotation, where you need two wheels off at a time, I personally will want a solution that allows me to set jacktands for security. Since the jack points on S and 3 are quite small, the only real solution right now is this: Home

If I were back in northern climes, this would not be a concern, as I'd rotate while switching between summer/winter wheels.

• Informative
Reactions: SlicedBr3ad
For rotation, where you need two wheels off at a time, I personally will want a solution that allows me to set jacktands for security. Since the jack points on S and 3 are quite small, the only real solution right now is this: Home

My jackpoint jackstands are en route as I type this, but they are not the only option. The Rennstand should also be up to the job. I have not used either product.

• Informative
Reactions: e-FTW
They're not going to rotate your non-Costco tires for you. If you bought them at Costco, they'll happily check tire pressure and refill, rotate, and balance. And they only carry two models of tires, so they know where you bought them, with or without a receipt.
i am very concerned anyone but tesla working on car will f up the jack points and the car. hence my question.

If I were back in northern climes, this would not be a concern, as I'd rotate while switching between summer/winter wheels.
ouch $300. did tesla stand work on 3?

which jack do you need for this? this sounds like a high lift off ground and potential body twist
Think about it when you raise a car from the front jack point, what is preventing the rear wheel from coming off the ground too? Only the articulation of the rear suspension. You only need to raise it few more inches and the rear tire will also come off the ground. If the static load of half the car weight on the jack point was enough to bend the frame I think we'd be hearing about a lot of bent frames from hitting potholes and going up driveways at an angle.

I haven't rotated the tires on my Model 3 yet, but I've done it plenty of times on the Model S. I just do it myself as I already have the tools. My trick is I use two jacks (aluminum low profile ones from Harbor Freight). I then jack both the front and rear side of the car at the same time. However, I only do this because I do not need to go under the car to rotate tires or keep the car in the air for very long. DO NOT PUT ANY PART OF YOUR BODY UNDER A CAR ONLY SUPPORTED BY A HYDRAULIC JACK!!!

Here are the steps I follow:
  1. Remove the plastic lug nut caps.
  2. With a breaker bar and a plastic covered socket (to prevent scratching the wheel), break loose the lug nuts on both wheels.
  3. Put both jacks under the car. Jack up one corner until the tire just leaves the ground. Jack up the other corner until that tire just leaves the ground. Verify both tires are now about an inch off the ground.
  4. Using a cordless impact gun, remove the nuts from the front wheel and remove the wheel. Move the wheel to the back of the car.
  5. Using the impact gun again, remove the nuts from the rear wheel and remove the wheel. Set it aside.
  6. Inspect the brakes and suspension for any obvious issues or wear.
  7. Put the front wheel back on the rear hub. Start the lug nuts by hand for a few turns to insure no cross threading. I then use the impact gun to tighten all 5 in a star pattern. Since my gun isn't powerful enough and I quickly stop once the nut stops spinning, this doesn't over torque the nuts.
  8. Repeat steps 6 and 7 but with the rear wheel on the front hub.
  9. Gently lower the car to the ground.
  10. Set the torque wrench to 129ft/lbs and torque each lug nut in a star pattern. I do a double click on all 5 and then re-torque in the same sequence with just a single click of the toque wrench. Repeat for the other wheel.
  11. Reinstall lug nut caps.
I just repeat on the other side and I'm done! However, I'm not sure on the torque spec for the Model 3. So be sure to research that before doing this.

I haven't rotated the tires on my Model 3 yet, but I've done it plenty of times on the Model S. I just do it myself as I already have the tools. My trick is I use two jacks (aluminum low profile ones from Harbor Freight). I then jack both the front and rear side of the car at the same time. However, I only do this because I do not need to go under the car to rotate tires or keep the car in the air for very long. DO NOT PUT ANY PART OF YOUR BODY UNDER A CAR ONLY SUPPORTED BY A HYDRAULIC JACK!!!

2. With a breaker bar and a plastic covered socket (to prevent scratching the wheel), break loose the lug nuts on both wheels.
  3. Put both jacks under the car. Jack up one corner until the tire just leaves the ground. Jack up the other corner until that tire just leaves the ground. Verify both tires are now about an inch off the ground.
  4. Using a cordless impact gun, remove the nuts from the front wheel and remove the wheel. Move the wheel to the back of the car.
  5. Using the impact gun again, remove the nuts from the rear wheel and remove the wheel. Set it aside.
  7. Put the front wheel back on the rear hub. Start the lug nuts by hand for a few turns to insure no cross threading. I then use the impact gun to tighten all 5 in a star pattern. Since my gun isn't powerful enough and I quickly stop once the nut stops spinning, this doesn't over torque the nuts.
  10. Set the torque wrench to 129ft/lbs and torque each lug nut in a star pattern. I do a double click on all 5 and then re-torque in the same sequence with just a single click of the toque wrench. Repeat for the other wheel.
I just repeat on the other side and I'm done! However, I'm not sure on the torque spec for the Model 3. So be sure to research that before doing this.
Please use