Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you rotate tires on tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know how they do it at the service center, but the Tesla mobile tech that came to my house yesterday to rotate my 3's tires jacked up the right side from the rear jack point. No adapter or pad was used. Just his floor jack. Then did the same on the left side rear jack point.

Front tires were moved to the rear. No criss-crossing.
@kelly sorry about raising an old thread, but I'm getting ready to rotate my M3 tires.
You use "floor jack" in the singular in your post. Does this mean the Ranger used only one jack, at the rear lift point, to lift both wheels on one side of the car off the ground at the same time? If so, I am surprised that this was stable. Or, did I misunderstand and he/she had two Jack's?
Thanks.

@kelly sorry about raising an old thread, but I'm getting ready to rotate my M3 tires.
You use "floor jack" in the singular in your post. Does this mean the Ranger used only one jack, at the rear lift point, to lift both wheels on one side of the car off the ground at the same time? If so, I am surprised that this was stable. Or, did I misunderstand and he/she had two Jack's?
Thanks.
It appears his jack is designed to be used without jack stands. It sounds like it had some kind of locking mechanism (based on the clicking sound) to prevent it from falling if the hydronic pressure suddenly dropped.

Thanks.
Correct, one jack at the rear jack point. He jacked it up until both tires cleared the ground. On the next tire rotation I did it myself because Tesla wanted $75. I used exactly the same strategy and it worked perfectly. I didn't notice any instability.

It appears his jack is designed to be used without jack stands. It sounds like it had some kind of locking mechanism (based on the clicking sound) to prevent it from falling if the hydronic pressure suddenly dropped.
I'm not sure if you are talking about the jack used by the Mobile Tech who did my first rotation, but if you are, I don't think it was anything special. When I did my second rotation I used a racing jack from Harbor Freight.

Interesting discussion. One thing I haven't noticed being discussed is: when rotating, what do you do about TPMS sensors? I've never had a car with them before and I've seen occasional comments online about the car getting confused about which wheel is which after a rotation.

I paid for the $75 Tesla rotation because I had a situation with my old EV (1997 Solectria Force) where a tire shop warped my front rotors when they rotated... I wanted to be sure it was done right with this special car (Model 3).

Interesting discussion. One thing I haven't noticed being discussed is: when rotating, what do you do about TPMS sensors? I've never had a car with them before and I've seen occasional comments online about the car getting confused about which wheel is which after a rotation.

I paid for the $75 Tesla rotation because I had a situation with my old EV (1997 Solectria Force) where a tire shop warped my front rotors when they rotated... I wanted to be sure it was done right with this special car (Model 3).
I rotated my tires and the car automatically figured out where the tires were now positioned. I know it worked because the system correctly identified low pressure in my partially flat tire.

I've rotated tires by myself 3 times so far, no issues with tpms.