Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you set up your Tesla for long trips? Sunglasses, coolers and app selections oh my!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh man, that is nice... I have to get this to work.

I have a lot of stuff setup now... based on feedback from this thread. I have the driver display with odometer and trip display on the left, with energy on the right, but also, I have an iPhone on a suction device positioned from the left little triangle window near the left side mirror so that it stays fixed even if you roll down the window, this points directly at me while not obstructing the air-conditioning vent. I have all the vents in the car turned off (or minimal flow by pushing the vents to the right to be closed), with a sunshade up on the all glass roof to conserve energy, and I am using a steripen solar charger that I put up between the all glass roof and the sun shade so that keeps the phone charged without getting wires in the way.... but you have to fix the little solar panel above your head or it will slide out of the sunshade . This step is probably unecessary since it is likely that only a tiny amount of energy is used by the phone charger in the car. but I'm kind of in to hypermiling right now, so oh well.

I have a rubbermaid bucket in the front seat leg space with plenty of replacement trash bags (which I need to change to black bags instead of white to get rid of the distracting reflection), I have leatherman tool, lighter, regular knife and tire gauge in the front with insurance and license stuff. In the trunk, I have the tesla charging equipment, the tesla tire fixer pump, a 100 foot extension cord. I have a yeti flip going in the font seat, stacked to the rafters with core drinking water... I got paper towels, steripens and mcr water filtration pump with nuun tablets to keep me hydrated in case I have to cut open a cactus and kill a rattlesnake to get to the water. I have wet wipes in the trunk (courtesy of my avatar), I have a water proof pet blanket on the floor ready to lay on the seat in case I have to piss into a bio bag... and I'm not afraid to do it, even with AP2. Heck if I had AP1 then I probably wouldn't even use a pet blanket beneath me.

I have a swiss megamat mattress in the trunk with 3 inches of MMA mats lining the trunk so everything is level. I have some twistable sunshades ready to go if I have to block side windows while I sleep at superchargers... I have fly fishing equipment ready to roll in the rear trunk basement storage area... with waders and fly rods, (scott radian and sage accel and a sage 2 weight circa rod because I like to party). Hmmmm, what else.... Austin to New Mexico next week... can't wait.

Oh and I almost forgot! I just discovered the inroute iPhone app, which is amazing ... I plan to check this at superchargers to check weather and wind direction in case I decide to go for a 330 mile uphill stretch from sweetwater to santa rosa (which is unlikely, but just in case the remnants of Hurricane Harvey decides to throw a 10 mph tailwind my way I want to be prepared)...

I decided not to go out and buy a gun for this trip because I'm not yet paranoid enough, and I am way more likely to shoot myself in the leg while yelling' "break yo self fool!" to some dickhead in an ICE who cut me off in New Mexico while I'm all jacked up on caffeine and five hour energies (the nerd equivalent of meth amphetamine since I just binge watched breaking bad and I'm pretty sure I might run into Tuco, but I guess I'll just have to talk my way out of a bad situation if that happens. Am I missing anything guys? Thanks for your help!

You summed it up... perfectly. :D