Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you solve the app connectivity in Singapore?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all I'm about to get a Model 3 in Singapore soon. The car is imported from the UK.

Has anyone have the same regional car and manage to solve the app connectivity even if the embedded e-sim is outside of the EU?

Obviously I'm not talking about music streaming or watching youtube on the dash, these can be solve easily. What concern me is the app to turn on the climate control, set charging, etc. Are you able to get local telco to connect to use the e-sim in the car?

Will it work if I plug an usb wifi modem in the car when I try to use the app to communicate with the car on the street?

Sounds like a good plan. Your car would connect to the internet via a portable live constant hotspot Wifi.

I think if you have the Sentry Mode on, the USB power should be on also.

You then can use your cell phone app from anywhere in the world to monitor and control your car.

Will it work if I plug an usb wifi modem in the car when I try to use the app to communicate with the car on the street?

If you mean would the Tesla computer use a USB wifi modem plugged in, the answer is no (or at least not that I am aware of). What you need is a '4G wifi hotspot'. They are small devices that have a 4G modem card in them and act as wifi hotspots. They are normally battery powered, but can be charged via USB (so you can plug into the car to keep powered 24x7). Once you have that installed, you can configure the wifi in the car to use your 4G hotspot.

One caveat: Tesla will download its firmware updates over wifi, and can't differentiate between your little wifi hotspot and a real wifi. So, you might find a lot of data used by this solution.

If you mean would the Tesla computer use a USB wifi modem plugged in, the answer is no (or at least not that I am aware of). What you need is a '4G wifi hotspot'. They are small devices that have a 4G modem card in them and act as wifi hotspots. They are normally battery powered, but can be charged via USB (so you can plug into the car to keep powered 24x7). Once you have that installed, you can configure the wifi in the car to use your 4G hotspot.

One caveat: Tesla will download its firmware updates over wifi, and can't differentiate between your little wifi hotspot and a real wifi. So, you might find a lot of data used by this solution.

Hi Mark, yes thats exactly what I mean. The usb plug just to power the mifi/wifi device constantly so that hopefully I can communicate with the car via tesla app.

Is there a solution for swapping the build in e-sim network provider? I read somewhere that as long as you sign "non-tesla sim waiver" agreement. Is this still apply for the latest e-sim system?