Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you split the gas cost?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume you're talking about the minority of cars that don't have free supercharging...
The charge incurred will show-up on your My Tesla page shortly after you leave the "station". Once you've completed your trip, you tally-up the total cost, and everyone pitches-in via PayPal.

My friends and I always seem to have operated on a sort of barter system.

Instead of splitting the cost of something, we'd just substitute paying for something else for the group. It usually worked out close enough.

There's also the old addage about nobody riding for free; since our cars don't use gas and grass isn't legal everywhere, that only leaves one option... ;)

My policy is when I'm riding in sombody else's car over a long distance, I pay for all of the gas. I do that because I think in terms of total operating cost and the car owner is already shouldering all the depreciation, etc.

That said, MOST people only think in terms of "gas" for operating expense of a car, so people generally don't offer me any compensation when we take my Tesla but occasionally I'll get a coffee out of it.

Reactions: JohnnyG and brkaus