Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you switch off the radio?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, this is probably a slightly odd question, but how do you switch off the radio? Normally, I just press the left scroll button to mute the sound and don't worry about it, but that isn't a useful approach if the reason you want to switch off the radio is so you can hear the audio from the browser (in this case watching iPlayer while supercharging).

I couldn't for the life of me figure it out - in the end I ended up starting a track from USB (I guess Spotify or whatever would have worked just as well) and then pausing it.... Is there something obvious I'm missing?

Reactions: DenkiJidousha
Ok, this is probably a slightly odd question, but how do you switch off the radio? Normally, I just press the left scroll button to mute the sound and don't worry about it, but that isn't a useful approach if the reason you want to switch off the radio is so you can hear the audio from the browser (in this case watching iPlayer while supercharging).

I couldn't for the life of me figure it out - in the end I ended up starting a track from USB (I guess Spotify or whatever would have worked just as well) and then pausing it.... Is there something obvious I'm missing?
Yes it’s a pain trying to mute the radio if you are needing to hear the browser sound. As you have discovered you need to switch to another audio input that has no sound playing. Do you use TeslaTV web app? It’s great that it allows full screen browsing as well as for iPlayer itself.

Reactions: Roy B
I’ve noticed sometimes the radio app has a “stop square” which turns it off. Other times it doesn’t. Same stations. Bizarre.

I’ve started just turning the volume to 0 if the stop option isn’t displayed.

Reactions: Roy B
Yes it’s a pain trying to mute the radio if you are needing to hear the browser sound. As you have discovered you need to switch to another audio input that has no sound playing. Do you use TeslaTV web app? It’s great that it allows full screen browsing as well as for iPlayer itself.
Tried it out but haven't used it in anger yet. In this case it was BBC News so I was more listening than watching.

I’ve noticed sometimes the radio app has a “stop square” which turns it off. Other times it doesn’t. Same stations. Bizarre.

I’ve started just turning the volume to 0 if the stop option isn’t displayed.
Ah, that makes sense. Instead of a "stop square" I had a "play triangle" - which didn't seem to make a lot of sense given it was already playing. I tried pressing it anyway hoping it would toggle the radio (it wasn't greyed out) but it didn't do anything. Sounds like a bug, then...

Ah, that makes sense. Instead of a "stop square" I had a "play triangle" - which didn't seem to make a lot of sense given it was already playing. I tried pressing it anyway hoping it would toggle the radio (it wasn't greyed out) but it didn't do anything. Sounds like a bug, then...
Yes, you may find sometimes that play option offers the stop icon. But why it doesn’t always I’d beyond me.

This is aggravating my wife for sure. My driver profile doesn't turn on the radio, I don't really use it at all. She uses the radio but it always turns on when she gets into the car, instead of having the option to turn it on when she wants to - and having to mute it pisses her off.

This is aggravating my wife for sure. My driver profile doesn't turn on the radio, I don't really use it at all. She uses the radio but it always turns on when she gets into the car, instead of having the option to turn it on when she wants to - and having to mute it pisses her off.
Sometimes the car resumes playing radio or Spotify, sometime it does not, I've not determined any pattern. I always mute when I stop.

Reactions: charltones
Sometimes the car resumes playing radio or Spotify, sometime it does not, I've not determined any pattern. I always mute when I stop.
If the phone/watch not connected to another source after disconnecting from the car, it will automatically play from where it is left. But if the phone/watch connected to home audio or another car bluetooth etc., then it won't play the music automatically. Also if the car is opened using another car key/mobile etc., again it won't play the music automatically. These are some of the patterns I figured out. I am sure there may be other variations.

Hi Only had my Y for a month & all of the above has happened for me too! Not having an off control for the radio is aggravating, especially when some odd radio channel (which Ive never tuned into) starts playing when you get into the car. I listen to audio from the 500mb (partitioned) drive so don't bother with the radio. had 2 nissan Leafs before tesla & do miss the birds eye view when reversing etc, surprised that Tesla don't have it also as their reversing 'aids' are a bit basic.... have a spare (space saver) tyre & kit in the back but do wish that Tesla would configure the boot space so that if anyone wants it it would fit into a correctly shaped recess out of the way but don't suppose theyll change that now..! you would have thought that with the distances involved in the USA that would have been considered but hey ho what do I know,,, other than those 'moans' am generally pleased with the vehicle.

Hi Only had my Y for a month & all of the above has happened for me too! Not having an off control for the radio is aggravating, especially when some odd radio channel (which Ive never tuned into) starts playing when you get into the car. I listen to audio from the 500mb (partitioned) drive so don't bother with the radio. had 2 nissan Leafs before tesla & do miss the birds eye view when reversing etc, surprised that Tesla don't have it also as their reversing 'aids' are a bit basic.... have a spare (space saver) tyre & kit in the back but do wish that Tesla would configure the boot space so that if anyone wants it it would fit into a correctly shaped recess out of the way but don't suppose theyll change that now..! you would have thought that with the distances involved in the USA that would have been considered but hey ho what do I know,,, other than those 'moans' am generally pleased with the vehicle.
Press the left button on the steering wheel. If you turned it off when last used the car then it will be off when you next get in.

Reactions: init6
I thought it was just me!
The whole "infotainment" UI is a mess. It's as if they gave half a dozen guys one of the apps each and just told them to find a way of making them work but don't bother with the user interface.
The only way for example of leaving Netflix is to press the brake pedal. Other apps have "X" icons but never in the same place. Then some apps blank the IC (Model S) so you can't monitor charging progress, some don't.
This without mentioning the tiny icons for Play, pause etc - in a moving vehicle which is usually actively searching for potholes each of these should be a large button icon.
Bizarre!

The only way for example of leaving Netflix is to press the brake pedal. Other apps have "X" icons but never in the same place.
That's not true. If you pause Netflix the x button appears. I'll take a photo later if you can't find it.
Then some apps blank the IC (Model S) so you can't monitor charging progress, some don't.
I just monitor charge state on my phone. Although you don't need to monitor the state if you've set the limit to the charge you want.

Reactions: Adopado
That's not true. If you pause Netflix the x button appears. I'll take a photo later if you can't find it.

I just monitor charge state on my phone. Although you don't need to monitor the state if you've set the limit to the charge you want.
Replying to my own post, but perhaps this behaviour is different on the Model S from the Y that the (latest) OP asked about. Apologies if that's the case.

I've just checked my "S" and it certainly doesn't come up on mine!
During many attempts doing various things the "X" did appear top right for about one second but disappeared well before I could get there. On other occasions I didn't see it at all.
Despite what I originally posted pushing the brake pedal only works when you go into gear, which is what one would expect (entertainment goes off when driving.)
Regarding second point - I don't use a phone and in any case why should the info appear when you are in one app and not another? The UI is basically amateurish.